Ever heard of or read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever heard of or read?

Paul Carell? His book in the U.S. was published in 1964 called "Hitler moves East 1941-1943".

From the time I read his book I was instantly enthralled by his info and his style. He is very good. Just curious how many others enjoyed this book. Any that are fimiliar and feel the same?

Maybe any peopl eout there who think it's trash? Just wanted to test the waters. Thanks!

Ryan

Edit: here is some more info on the author book. I had posted it elsewhere in another topic. Didn't feel like re-typing it all lol

Not too long ago I found a book published here in the states in 1964 by a Paul Carell. Turns out after some research Carrel was born Paul Karl Schmidt. He served as a Obersturmbannführer and was the chief press spokesman for Nazi Germany Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop. He also published "Signal" durring the war. After the war he published "Unternehmen Barbarossa", or as we know it in the states "Hitler Moves East".

With the wealth of knowledge of most people here I am sure people are aware of Carell but I figured I would toss that out there lol. Anyhow his book is simply amazing. The descriptions, the information about troop movements and such is impeccable. This was really the "first wave" of military information about WWII and he has excellent insight as he had been able to speak with many of the higher ranking German commanders of Barbarossa.
    Last edited by Military nut; 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM.

Guess this is a big fat "NO" lol!

Comment

I read both of Carell's Eastern front books; "Hitler Moves East", and "Scorched Earth" years ago, and I must say that I enjoyed his writing style quite a bit.I believe he is/was a Wehrmacht veteran, but I don't know the details. I have also read his "Foxes of the Desert", on the Afrika Korps, and 'Invasion, Theyr'e Coming", on the Normandy campaign.
      Certainly, a much superior author than that hack, Franz Kurowski!

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Paul Carell's books have been around in the US since at least the late 1960s and over time I read them all. Military Nut's edit in his post of yesterday at 6:08 AM says it all. You cannot be sure if you're getting the true "down and dirty" story or the official wartime German version. As with any historical research, it is always best to read a number of books by various authors on a given topic before assuming you know the story.

Comment

I read both his main works "Unternehmen Barbarossa" and the second part "Verbrannte Erde" (Torched Earth). They fascinated me as a 13 year old kid hearing and reading the first time about this more detailled picture of the Second World War in the East. Carrel also wrote about the invasion in the Normandy ("Sie kommen" - They are comming) and Africa (Die Wüstenfüchse - The Desert Foxes) and about Stalingrad. They are also good to read!
          He has a somewhat 'dime novel' style and sometimes lacks objectivity. Which is not hard to understand when one knows that his real name was Paul Karl Schmidt and that he was a SS-Obersturmbannführer and the press officer of Joachim von Ribbentrop - which might have given him a slight bias.

But still - good reading!
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
            I read both his main works "Unternehmen Barbarossa" and the second part "Verbrannte Erde" (Torched Earth). They fascinated me as a 13 year old kid hearing and reading the first time about this more detailled picture of the Second World War in the East. Carrel also wrote about the invasion in the Normandy ("Sie kommen" - They are comming) and Africa (Die Wüstenfüchse - The Desert Foxes) and about Stalingrad. They are also good to read!
            He has a somewhat 'dime novel' style and sometimes lacks objectivity. Which is not hard to understand when one knows that his real name was Paul Karl Schmidt and that he was a SS-Obersturmbannführer and the press officer of Joachim von Ribbentrop - which might have given him a slight bias.

But still - good reading!
            Dietrich,
            I'm glad you brough this up. I was secretly wishing someone might lol. I have heard a few other people mentin similiar ideas/comments. My question to you is; what about his narritive of the battles/operations seems biased. I'm not saying your wrong, just wondering what strikes you as him being biased. I haven't read Scorched Earth (plan too though), but from Hitler Moves East, I honestly think he is fairly objective. He does (again imo) a great job of sighting Russian keys to defeat and victory as well as German. He talks about how hard the Russians fought (but does tend to fault the Russian high command for early failures). Overall givin the info he provides, I would say he is pretty objective. That sjust my opinion though. I am very intrested in lsitening to any opinions that differ from mine! Thanks and take care.

Ryan

Comment

As I sit here, I can see the hard covers Hitler Moves East and Scorched Earth in my book case. I have never read the "Afrika" book. From what i recall ( I read all the books ~ 20+ years ago from the Invasion They're Coming was every time the German forces held up allied forces, how allied air superiority ( in the form of jabos or waves of B-17's) turned the tide.

Without reading them again, I do seem to remember a History told from the German perspective rather than completely objective. But, there is nothing wrong with that.
              If you want total objectivity read The Russo-German War 1941-1945 and the battle for Moscow by Albert Seaton.

Immer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X