Lone survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone survivor

I have just finished the story "Lone Survivor" by and about Marcus Luttrell, the Navy Seal that got a Navy Cross in Afghanistan. What a story, I don't think someone with the wildest imagination can match this in a script for action Hollywood movie. Jacques

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
    I have just finished the story "Lone Survivor" by and about Marcus Luttrell, the Navy Seal that got a Navy Cross in Afghanistan. What a story, I don't think someone with the wildest imagination can match this in a script for action Hollywood movie. Jacques
    I have to echo Jacques' seniments. I have read 100's, if not thousands, of 1st-person military accounts from various wars and various countries--this is by far the best, and the most engrossing.

Luttrell was a part of a 4-man SEAL time inserted into a remote Taliban controlled mountain region in 2005, and ended up being the lone survivor. He goes way beyond the limits of human endurance in both fighting (and later attempting) to evade an estimated 120 Taliban insurgents, all looking for (and trying to kill) him.

An amazing story of survival--in short, the best "war book" I have read.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Luttrell & the book (he is on the right)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by stonemint; 07-23-2012, 03:56 PM.
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Amazing book. I had the honor of spending a night out with Marcus a while back after he was a guest speaker at an event. He is a great American and a gentleman.

I also recommend reading his new book Service. In the book he talks about deploying to Iraq after Operation Red Wings he also provided insight about his rescue not detailed in Lone Survivor. In all the book is a great tribute to our service members, their families and America in general.

I imagine most folks reading this thread also know about Chris Kyle and his book American Sniper. It's another excellent read.

Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          Luttrell & the book:
          Stonemint,

The photo is of Luttrell's team leader, Lt. Michael P. Murphy.

Bryant
          Last edited by Bryant U.; 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bryant U. View Post
            Stonemint,

Bryant
            Brave man. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Bryant U. View Post
              Stonemint,

Bryant

Bryant, thanks for pointing that out to me, you are correct. It should be noted that Lt. Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously as a result of his selfless actions in (among other things) exposing himself to enemy fire in order to get a signal to call in a rescue team.
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I also read the book, and it was a good story. Being retired military, Air Force, and having worked with Spec Ops, I would have found it difficult to leave my comrades behind without knowing for sure they were gone. I can't judge how I would react if it was me; it's a case of Fight or Flight. I think he was also being a little critcal (compaining) about about drinking out of a dirty Pepsi bottle. Myself, I'd have kept that bottle and been forever grateful that these people tried their best. It was also nice of the town to get together and build him a home on his father's place, I would have thought of something more for those I left behind, before of thinking of myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of his work and his team. God Bless America.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X