"The Wehrmacht" on the History Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Wehrmacht" on the History Channel

I just noticed today that the History Channel featured five 1-hour shows on the Wehrmacht. I only caught the last 1.5 hours and thought is was extremely objective. Plenty of live footage with alot of it in color. I saw some great color shots of various pieces of armor, equipment and uniforms.

Who else saw it and when will be be on again?
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Willi,
    Didn't see it, unfortunately their schedule only has it listed for today.
    Regards,
    Fred

Comment

Darn, I was watching football all day! Could have Tivo'd it if I had realized it was on! And looking on the History Channel website, today was the only time it was on for the near future.

Steve

Comment

Darn. I was outside cutting some trees and only saw it when I came inside. It was really good! German produced (by ZDF I think) and I think they already have a DVD out. Though I didn't always agree with some of the historians, there were alot of German veterans presenting their experiences. The 5th episode featured the last 5 months of the war and it was extremely sobering. The second half of the 4th was about the resistance to Hitler.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Is this it Willi?

http://www.muft.tv/watch/Video,Item,1487717700.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
            Yes Mike, those are the 5 episodes.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I caught 3/5 episodes, and it was well-done. It was produced by ZDF and Guido Knopp. The basic thesis of the series is that the Wehrmacht was aware of, and acquiesced to, the actions of the SS and the Einsatzgruppen. It also deals with Wehrmacht resistance (and the lack thereof) to Hitler, and the responsibility of Generals like Schorner, who continued to sacrifice their men, only to flee in civilian clothes at the last possible moment. Much of it seems to be based on secret recordings of captured German generals at Trent Park in England (there is a book on this called "Tapping Hitler's Generals). Atrocities by the Grossdeutschland division and the Hermann Goering division are recounted. Hopefully it will be re-run again, but will probably be available on youtube in no time.
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Caught about 3 of the one hour episodes. Well done and hope to catch them again. There appears to have been no advanced notices of its showing.. It sure beat the hell out of gangland, tree cutter and other non historical shows that are better off in the crapper. Just my 2 cents....

Comment

Im sure i have this series on dvd, copied of our local channel SBS 5x1hr episodes...The Werhrmacht.......will check and get back to you !

Comment

eBay item number 160303636254 ?

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
                      eBay item number 160303636254 ?

- Chris
                      Looks like he probably copied it off the TV and is selling it that way. Also see he is selling copies of different books on dvd. Not sure if that is legal or not. But a heck of a price around $10 for all 5 episodes + Cross of Iron!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stahlhelm47 View Post
                        Caught about 3 of the one hour episodes. Well done and hope to catch them again. There appears to have been no advanced notices of its showing.. It sure beat the hell out of gangland, tree cutter and other non historical shows that are better off in the crapper. Just my 2 cents....
                        I saw parts of the series, it was pretty good. I had to check several times to make sure I was really on the History Channel.

Comment

sorry but i have to disagree. I did not like it and none of the german veterans i talked to did like this series.

Guido Knopp, the historien of ZDF started his WWII/Hitler-TV in the beginning 90´s ("Der verdammte Krieg", "Hitlers Helfer", "Hitlers Generale", "Hitlers.......). The more he produce the more worse his results were in my opinion (the last produkt: this series, in german: Die Wehrmacht - eine Bilanz, was indeed a little bit better i think, but not really good). He always tells the same story (nothing new, even not in this series) in his manner. And his manner is very questionable (that is the reason, why his reputation under historians is very low). In the last years he had also problems to get time participants. Most of the veterans do not talk to him or his assistans.
                          The only reason for watching it, is the really good original film material.

Comment

Originally posted by PzOffz27 View Post
                            "The only reason for watching it, is the really good original film material."
                            Touché. But then that's the way it always is.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X