Our Modern Navy- 1898

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Modern Navy- 1898

Has anyone else ever seen this book before? It is entitled "Our Modern Navy" and was published in 1898. It is kind of Jane's-style book and has photographs and diagrams of the ships of the major navies of the world at the time of its publishing. Notably, it includes photos of soon-to-be-assassinated President William McKinley, major US Naval officers, and annotations on pages indicating which ships were destroyed in the Spanish-American War (i.e. USS Maine, Spanish ships lost at the Battle of Manila Bay, etc.)

Front cover

Publishing date and the USS Iowa (BB-4)

USS Maine- Note date of destruction at the bottom

Our President, the Honorable William McKinley

Naval Officers- Note Admiral Dewey at top-left

German Navy

Spanish Navy- There is a list of the Spanish ships destroyed at the Battle of Manila Bay at the bottom

Nice find, I love these books. I have a similar one with all sorts of photos, but mine deals only with the US Navy. These types of books were popular around the Spanish American War.

What are the dimensions? Most were fairly small, but a few were pretty decent sized.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
      Nice find, I love these books. I have a similar one with all sorts of photos, but mine deals only with the US Navy. These types of books were popular around the Spanish American War.

What are the dimensions? Most were fairly small, but a few were pretty decent sized.
      Thanks. I really like the front cover, it is what attracted me to the book in the first place. No doubt they were made, not only to be informative about world naval power, but also to instill a little patriotism about the Great White Fleet defending our country during the Spanish-American War. This would count as one of the decent-sized ones, it is about 16" X 9"

Comment

This book didn't put a dent in my wallet either. The stand in the antique store I bought it from just happened to have a 30% off sale that day, so I think I paid $15 for it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X