Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Request - Sir Winston Churchill

Hi everyone

Just looking for opinions on what some of my fellow members would consider to be a "Good" autobiography of Winston Churchill.

There are so many out there it is hard to judge. I was hoping I could get some good recommendations from forum members about a book that covers not only the military aspects of Churchill's background, but also provide a more in-depth look at the tenacious British bulldog..

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

No one has read a "Good" book about poor Sir Winston ?

No wonder the man drank so heavily.....................

Comment

I presume you mean good biography, rather than autobiography. William Manchester's first two volumes of a planned three volume biography are very good, but they end prior to WWII. The third volume was sadly, never completed before Manchester's death.
      Martin Gilbert has written a number of books on Churchill, and I have found him to be an excellent writer. I also believe the recent biography by the former Labour Party cabinet member Roy Jenkins is considered well done, and he takes a non-partisan approach towards the conservative Winston.
      Churchill is the historic figure that I admire the most; warts and all, he was a GREAT man, the likes of which we may never see again in this life.

Comment

Robert

Yeah, I am looking for something unbiased and covering the whole spectrum of his life. I will look into those authors you mentioned.

Like you, I have always had an affinity for the man. I believe men like him and Theodore Roosevelt are solely missed in todays world of sniveling me, me, me babies.

How can you not like a man who has the audacity to say "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

Andrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X