Battle of San Pietro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of San Pietro

I recently watched The Battle of San Pietro directed by John Huston. It was on the documentary channel, filmed in 1945. The film shows actual combat footage in the same general area as Monte Cassino. Even though it was directed by Huston, it was definitely not Hollywood. The Germans held the high ground and were desperate and determined to hold it. At one point 13 Sherman tanks were sent up, only 4 returned. One tank was missing, I've never heard of a tank going missing! If you can locate this war department film it is excellent.

Originally posted by Lon View Post
    I recently watched The Battle of San Pietro directed by John Huston. It was on the documentary channel, filmed in 1945. The film shows actual combat footage in the same general area as Monte Cassino. Even though it was directed by Huston, it was definitely not Hollywood. The Germans held the high ground and were desperate and determined to hold it. At one point 13 Sherman tanks were sent up, only 4 returned. One tank was missing, I've never heard of a tank going missing! If you can locate this war department film it is excellent.
    Yes, an excellent documentary although you will get a rainstorm of comments about it's authenticity. You can occasionally find the doc on ebay. I visited San Pietro in 2005 and it's still intact, although quite the ghost town. The new village was built somewhat downhill of the original. Get the "After the Battle" magazine (not sure what issue) for an in-depth look at the battle and tank attack. Both San Pietro and Cassino are excellent areas to visit!

-Eric

Comment

Excellent film. I bought a copy of the ducumentary about eight years ago, on VHS. One of the reasons I still keep my VCR around.

Comment

Film

It is my understanding that this film was "withheld" from public view during the war years because of its graphic nature...

Comment

Link to google video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87151290954373

Comment

It's on dvd now and for sale on Amazon.

Comment

San Pietro

Hello,
              I agree that is a great documentary. I actually own a copy myself and I show it to my students in history class.

Regards,
              Jody

Comment

I have owned the Battle of San Pietro on VHS for years. Finally was willing to ley it go after I got it on DVD. It is a great film.
                Norm

Comment

I haven't seen the film, so will look for it on DVD. I toured the area, as well as Monte Cassino, in April with a number of others. The old San Pietro is certainly a ghost town!
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                    I haven't seen the film, so will look for it on DVD. I toured the area, as well as Monte Cassino, in April with a number of others. The old San Pietro is certainly a ghost town!
                    What did you think of Cassino?

-Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X