AVENGING ANGELS(101st.Abn.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVENGING ANGELS(101st.Abn.)

Mark Bando,the Airborne relics collector,just came out with a book AVENGING ANGELS,FORBIDDEN TALES OF THE 101st.AIRBORNE DIVISION IN WORLD WAR II .
    I picked it up at the 506/101Abn.Convention yesterday and could'nt put it down.Some of the WWII vets at the convention are in that very book so it was interesting to get opinions about the book firsthand before reading it.
    One former paratrooper said it was "better left unsaid".
    The book covers the Normandy drop and later versions will cover Holland,Bastogne,and the final campaigns.
    I have'nt made up my mind about it-but there is some stuff in there that has'nt made the (sanitized)history books concerning American soldiers...

I have'nt made up my mind about it-but there is some stuff in there that has'nt made the (sanitized)history books concerning American soldiers...

Hmmm... intersting, care to give us an example or two?
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Avenging Eagles

It's called Avenging Eagles, not Avenging Angels however.

The book is WELL worth picking up, especially if you are into the WW2 101st Airborne Division. Every story has come directly from the men who fought it or saw it. Many of the names have been changed and a relative name has been inserted in it's place. For instance, if the mans real name was Private Nickel, it might be changed to Private Penny in order to protect the man's identity. It is a challenge trying to figure out who is who if you are into that.

It can only be ordered from the author, Mark Bando on his Trigger Time website. He has a new one coming soon detailing Holland and Bastogne.

I highly recommend ordering one from Bando.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Root View Post
        Hmmm... intersting, care to give us an example or two?
        Correction;book title is AVENGING EAGLES:
        The Currahee Museum has copies of it,in Toccoa,Georgia.
        That's where I bought mine.
        Let's see-some examples include the not uncommon killing of German prisoners,some almost casually(especially after some mutilation atrocities commited against paratroopers by some German units though most seem to have been by OST Truppen Georgians from my earlier reading);whore house escapades in London(including robbing prostitutes);S.L.A. Marshall's notoriously getting it wrong(disparaging brave men).Bando sets it straight.
        Like I said,at least one paratrooper I met while there(Fred Bahlau,2 Silver Stars who went from Normandy,Holland,the Bulge,to the Eagle's Nest)said most of it was "better left unsaid".I spoke at length with about 8-9 Normandy jumpers-most did'nt care for it too much...
        I still have'nt made up my mind about it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X