Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Life and Fate" by Vasily Grossman

Friends,

After a search of this part of the forum, I could find no reviews\comments about the book; "Life and Fate" by Vasily Grossman so I thought I would start a new thread on it.

I have just finished the 850+ pages of this book and whilst it took me about 2 months to read it (I only managed a few pages a night until my recent holiday, not the books fault just other commitments!) I believe this was time extremely well spent.

I expected a book that was difficult to start and one that would require effort to persevere with. I was pleasantly surprised to find that neither was true. In fact the only difficulties I had was a) with the Russian names (Only because Russian isn't my first language!) and b) the number of characters and their relationships with each other.

Whilst I never really overcame my problems with the Russian names, a tip I received about having two bookmarks, one for your current page and one for the page detailing who is who resolved the second problem.

Whilst there are many passages or entire chapters from the book that stood out for me, the ones I that I think that I will remember are:

The letter from Anna Shtrum to her son

The peasant women who helps a Russian POW that has been left for dead by his

captors

Sofya Levinton's journey

Stalin's telephone call to Victor

Have any one else read it? What did you think? Any stand out points for you?

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the review, Ian! I'm going to go out and buy it today!

Comment

Bought it. Thanks!

Comment

Brilliant Andy, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Once you have read it please let me know what you thought of it.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Will do, Ian!

Comment

Reading it now. Grossman's writing style is easy to digest. I just have to keep track of the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Harris View Post
              Reading it now. Grossman's writing style is easy to digest. I just have to keep track of the characters.
              Thanks for the update Andy - that character tracking "thing" is a difficult nut to crack!

Comment

I just finished it this morning. Excellent book.
                I can see why the Soviet government banned the book, even after Stalin's death-still it's a shame.

Viktor's trials and tribulations as a Jewish scientist captured my interest, as well as Novikov and his struggle to be a good officer and take care of his men. Sofya Levinton's fate was particularly moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Harris View Post
                  I just finished it this morning. Excellent book.
                  I can see why the Soviet government banned the book, even after Stalin's death-still it's a shame.

Viktor's trials and tribulations as a Jewish scientist captured my interest, as well as Novikov and his struggle to be a good officer and take care of his men. Sofya Levinton's fate was particularly moving.
                  Thanks for the update Andy - Glad you liked it!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X