Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Book

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a good historical book with lots of pictures about the SA. Thanks.

Chris

Check these out:

http://books.stonebooks.com/cgi-bin/...bjects?1002474

Comment

This came out in 1985, but still holds up well, and is profusely illustrated. Bill Shea has one for 75 bucks, but you can find it on ebay as well.
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Its called "The SA: A Historical Perspective" by Jill Halcomb (Jill, where are you now?!)
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

"The Brown Battalions," is a reprint of period material with a lot of photos. Includes some of SA Generals. Strange, as big and important as it was early in the 3rd Reich, little has been done on the SA. "The SA Generals" by Campbell is good but only has a few photos and you asked about photo books.

Comment

I put an order form in on the book on Bill Shea's site. Havn't heard anything back yet.

Comment

Hi all,
              the best printed publication on the SA was a special edition of the *Volkisher Beobachter" (very rough translation) FOR 1938 which was totally devoted to the SA after the purge during the "night of the long knives".
              I wish there was a modern publication about SA uniform.
              Considering there were many thousands 0of SA men in Germany throughout the Thirties and and war period, very little seems to have been preserved about these para-military units.
              Would anyone on the forum reccomend a book on the SA?

Best wishes.

John.

Comment

I can't speak about a special edition concerning the SA published by Völkischer Beobachter. I would need to see a scan of the cover to believe it exists. On the other hand, I do know about the special issue published by Illustrierte Beobachter and it is a pictorial delight for those interested in the SA. It came with a tipped in color portrait of Lutze.

This is a truncated scan of the cover of this title as it's larger than the bed of my scanner.

Ramon
                Last edited by ramon; 10-02-2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Ramon,

My apologies, you are right in the naming the special edition as being produced by the Illustrierter Beobachter; your scan is the cover of the book I also possess.
                  I also have a copy of the 1937 special edition "Das Deutschland Adolf Hitlers", which is also very interesting, but in my opinion not as good as the SA special.

Best regards,

John.

Comment

Hallo John,

Illustrierter Beobachter published several special issues such as the two thus far mentioned. All have SA illustrations to a more or less extent.

I would also commend the OP to ckeck out several of the cigarette albums that have extensive SA coverage such as Männer und Ereignisse (Men and Events), volumes 1 and 2. Volume 1 is shown below. The old standbys of Deutschland Erwacht, Adolf Hitler etc are useful as well. Other titles are available if of interest.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

If the OP is interested in the uniforms and insignia of the SA there are 2 titles worth pursuing if he's not faint of wallet. Here's the first.

Comment

Here's the 2nd. Sadly, these 2 references will each burn up anywhere from 500 to 1000+ USD.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X