Die Fälscher (The Counterfeiters) DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die Fälscher (The Counterfeiters) DVD

Just received my copy of the Academy's pick for Best Foreign Language Film of 2007, the Austrian/German production, "Die Fälscher." Really looking forward to watching it. I had it on pre-order at Amazon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813547/

http://www.sonyclassics.com/thecounterfeiters/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Counterfeiters_(film)

Awful SS uniforms, but a compelling story!

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
      Awful SS uniforms, but a compelling story!

Don
      Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Comment

Paul, I think you'll like the storyline. As a uniform geek, the lame uniforms and implausible awards (especially on the Kripo detective turned SS-Sturmbannführer) were distracting. I was amused to see the actor who played an SS Brigadeführer in Die Untergang playing a Jewish counterfeiter in this film!

Don

Comment

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I saw it in a little artsy theatre near me a couple of months ago. I thought the storyline was very accurate and very well done.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I watched the DVD a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot. An amazing story made all the more fascinating by the superb cast of characters. I thought it was very well done (save for the uniform faux pas) and highly recommend it to all.

Comment

I don't have the DVD yet but looking forward to seeing this one as it's a particular interest of mine.

Here's a pic of Bernhard Kruger

And one of the forged fivers from my collection:

Comment

Counterfeiters

Originally posted by Paul Giva View Post
                I watched the DVD a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot. An amazing story made all the more fascinating by the superb cast of characters. I thought it was very well done (save for the uniform faux pas) and highly recommend it to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                  I don't have the DVD yet but looking forward to seeing this one as it's a particular interest of mine.

And one of the forged fivers from my collection:

Very neat. How did you come to acquire the fake bill? The ordinary dealer route?

Comment

It is good to read the replies...I have been wanting to see this film for a while since I have done alot of research about the history of operation Bernhard and own a few of these notes in my collection.
                    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

I saw it in German, and found it OK, though some scenes where "typical", seen in 10 other holocaust movies before.
                      Also, since I live in Nice: the first scene in the movie starts on the beach at Nice, and then he walks up the beach and magicaly appears in Monte Carlo, about 25 km away!

JL

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Giva View Post
                        Very neat. How did you come to acquire the fake bill? The ordinary dealer route?
                        Paul, I've only just seen your reply, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

The forged fivers and other notes are actually quite common and sell for less than the real thing. A lot were recovered after the war from the waters of the Toplitzsee and found their way on to the collectors market. I got mine from a currency dealer. It is technically illegal to own these in Great Britain though.

There's a great book on the subject called "Nazi Counterfeiting of British £ Currency during World War II" by Bryan Burke which photographically shows the differences between the real notes and the German forgeries. The forgeries weren't quite as good as made out.

The forgers also produced a number of propaganda British postage stamps.

The movie is a little disappointing for me, it was a great drama, but I'd like to have seen more about the background to the forgery operations. Also Burger's role is over exaggerated and there was no sabotage going on. They were indeed trying to forge US dollars but it is still unclear whether any were ever printed or not.

Edited to add: I wouldn't be surprised if the value of the counterfeit fivers has shot up now since the film. The same thing happened with the Eisenhower D-Day message to Allied troops leaflet once it featured in Band of Brothers (or was it Saving Private Ryan?) the price jumped over night from $10 to $200. The same with the RAF leaflet which reproduced one of the Scholl leaflets, once the movie "Sophie Scholl" was released in Germany.

Edited a second time: A couple of months ago Private Schultz was finally released on DVD (region 2). This is a 1980's BBC TV comedy series based on Operation Bernard. It's brilliant!
                        Last edited by Strider; 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Hello Strider - Question for you about your five pound British note. Is your pound note an original forged pound note or a reproduction of a forged pound note?
                          Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Pickard View Post
                            Hello Strider - Question for you about your five pound British note. Is your pound note an original forged pound note or a reproduction of a forged pound note?

Ralph, it's a real forgery - if that makes sense!? That is, it is an original note produced at Sachsenhausen.

The scan of my note above has had the contrast increased, which is perhaps the reason you might be thinking it is a reproduction. It is watermarked and on the correct paper/linen.

Also my comment about them being easy to spot as a fake is perhaps misleading. To the man in the street the forgery is excellent but for someone knowing what to look for, they are easily detected. There are mistakes in the watermark and, if I remember correctly, some of the security checks are missing as well.

Lee

Comment

Hey Lee - Thanks for your follow up and the clarification. I fully agree now with your comments about the notes being hard to id until you know what to look for. I own a few of these notes in my collection.

Thanks...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X