Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Route nationale 7", by Goerg Pemler, Luftwaffe pilot

Hi guys.
    I have recently started reading the book Route Nationale 7, by German pilote Georg Pemler. As far as I know, it only exists in German, making it difficult to read for me. I have only read about 100 pages out of about 300, but am so surprised, that I feel like writting this little review.
    The book is a highly detailed day by day autobiographical text by a reconnaissance pilot named Georg Pemler, who was stationed near Toulon, southern France, when the southern France landings occured on August 15th 1944.
    Many of you probably know next to nothing about the southern France campaign, and those who do probably know that casualties were "low", and part of it was dubed the "Champaign Campaign (spelling?)".
    Well, Georg Pemler was on the Russian front , etc, and he said that those days of retreating after the invasion were the worste in the war for him.
    The book is extremely detailed, and also extremely varied for an autobiography because the author was an officer and a Pilot. This means there are moments when he is engaged in arial combat, moments when he is engaged in ground combat and moments when he is in the presence of high ranking officiers: much more varied then what the average soldier was involved in.
    In the first 100 pages there have already been scenes of field hospitals, dog fights, fighting with partisans, finding tortured bodies, women and children being killed, etc. A very painfull, varied and intersting picture.
    I would highly recomend it to anyone, at least the first 100 pages I have read so far.
    The only negative point is that although the other often violently critics the US troops and french partisans for breaking the laws of war, the author seems completely oblivious abut any German war crimes existing, and to the fact that places like Auschwitz existed on the German side. Maybe he will catch himself back before the end of the book.

JL

By the way, does anybody know if Georg Pemler is still alive?

JL

Comment

How specific is he as to the units he served in, dates, mission dates, and other details? I ask because many of these "memoir" type books ramble on with only vague reference to things and lack specifics on dates, places and events.

Comment

I havent seen any unit names so far, but he is as specific as a memoire can get concerning the dates and places (for his last combat flight, he notes down what is in his log book for example: mission lasted 42 minutes, departure time, blabla...). The description of each day after august 15th lasts for about 10 to 20 pages! The guy was an officer, and obviously also has an amasing memmory, and superior intelligence. You can sence it by reading the book.

Dont expect the book to be a book about airial combat though. Only a few air missions are described, some where the author was flying, others where his buddies where flying.
        Maybe someone else who is a native german speaker and has read the whole book, not just 1/3rd of it like me, can post his opinion.

The main attraction so far for me is the large variety of events described, and the fact that this book sheds light on a little known front. Reading it makes you realise that in august 1944 half of France was basicaly turning into a Kessel, Stalingrad style, and chaos ensued. I doubt anybody will consider the southern France campaign boring after reading that book!
        JL

Comment

Thanks, JL. Pemler was awarded the Ehrenpokal on 24.04.44 as a Lt. and Beobachter (observer/navigator) and was either a Kriegsoffizier or a reserve officer. That's all I can find on him. I draw a complete blank on which units he belonged to.

I, too, am interested in the German defences along the French Mediterranean coast, the 15 August invasion and the rapid retreat up the Rhône Valley toward Valence and Grenoble. I find the mix of odd and off-the-wall units fascinating. The Foreign Military Studies (FMS) series, CMH "R" series and the CSDIC P/W interrogation series have some excellent material on this subject that is not to be found in the published works.

--Larry

Comment

Well then you should love this book. He talks about meeting up with Feldgendarms, Paratroopers, Kossacs, Female Auxiliaries, Panzer troops, etc. Also southern France was quite avried on the allied side with Brit, US and Canadian soldiers, and also French colonial troops of many nations, Resistance (with spaniards), etc.

"The Foreign Military Studies (FMS) series, CMH "R" series and the CSDIC P/W interrogation series have some excellent material on this subject that is not to be found in the published works."

Do they also have material concerning the "right flank", in other words the Maritime Alps (Cannes, Grace, Nice), that I am currently gathering info about? I would be highly interested, as finding German vets from southern France is next to impossible. Where can I have access to this material?

JL

Comment

Thanks for the additional information on the Pemler book, JL.

Do they also have material concerning the "right flank", in other words the Maritime Alps (Cannes, Grace, Nice), that I am currently gathering info about?
              I can't guarrantee that of course, but there should be material covering the right flank.

Foreign Military Studies:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post2433141

“R” Series Studies:
              www.army.mil/cmh
              These are manuscripts and not for sale by the Center for Military History, so they would probably re-direct you to the U.S. National Archives.

The CSDIC (Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Center) interrogations are all available at the British National Archives in London.

This is primary document research, so you pretty much have to go to the archives in Washington and London to work with this material, although some of it can be ordered as photocopies.

Larry

Comment

Thanks for the info. Mike Constandy is a forum member that always greatly helps me at NARA, but I dont know anybody in London.
                I will be looking into this source of info in the future.

JL

Comment

Hi JL -

Here is a listing of the "R" studies that are relevant to Southern France. Although written in English by CMH historians, they are all taken from the original surviving German records, lengthy after-action reports prepared by the German participants and hundreds of interrogation reports. You might want to get a copy of R-107 (16 pages) to see whether or not these are of interest and help to you.

From: Index of the "R" Series Studies received from the Office of the Chief of Military History, December 10, 1971.
                  Box 1
                  (all on the Ardennes Offensive December 1944 - January 1945)

Boxes 2 and 3
                  R-17 I: Southern France - Chapter I. Occupation of France 1940 to Spring 1944. 11p.
                  R-17 II: Southern France - Chapter II. Troops and Fortifications in Southern France Spring 1944 to Invasion, 1944. 33p.
                  R-18 III: Southern France - Chapter III. Fear of Allied Intentions, 1943-1944. 21p.
                  R-23: German Operations in Southern France - Chapter IV. The Montélimar Crisis 20-30 August 1944. 50p.
                  R-48: German Military Operations in Southern France and Alsace, 15 August 1944 to 15 January 1945. A Summary on Army Group Level. 31p.

Box 6
                  R-93: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter I. Germany's Strategic Situation. 46p.
                  R-95: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter II. Estimate of Allied Intentions. 21p.
                  R-96: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter III. Command Organization in the West. 20p.
                  R-97: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter IV. German Plans and Preparations. 65p.
                  R-98: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter V. The Activation of Army Group G. 35p.
                  R-99: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter VI. The French Resistance Movement in Southern France and Alsace. 31p.
                  R-102: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter VII. Between 6 June and 15 August. 41p.
                  R-103: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter VIII. Army Group G Prepares to Meet the Invasion. 49p.
                  R-104: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter IX. The Invasion. 57p.

Box 7
                  R-105: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter X. Withdrawal of Army Group G. 29p.
                  R-106: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter XI. The Withdrawal Continues, 19-21 August. 18p.
                  R-107: German Operations in Southern France and Alsace 1944. Chapter XII. Operations on the Franco-Italian Border. 16p.

--Larry

Comment

To say the truth, I am starting to wonder wether this story is entirely true or not. The author sees so many different types of events happening, it seems theatrical. I am getting the same vibes as when I read the Misha Defonseca book before the news came out that it was BS.
                    The author was based a Cuers airfield, and claims gliders landed at the airfield on the night of august 15th. I just looked at a map, and Cuers is on the outskirts of Toulon, and I never hear about any gliders landing near Toulon...

JL

Comment

I have finished readin the book now, and have to say that anybody who likes first hand accounts should love this book.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X