Sven Hassel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sven Hassel

For the moment I am reading one of Sven Hassels books about his experiences from WWII. Great books, and if you have not read them check them out. The stories feels very authentic and emotional. Does anyone know if any movie has been based on his books?

The stories are interesting, but most things are pure inventions. His books are a fun read, but be carefull not to think they are historical documents.

JL

Comment

I read his books at school, they were very popular & were eventually banned by the headmaster. Really loved them back then, but haven't read once since.
      Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
        The stories are interesting, but most things are pure inventions. His books are a fun read, but be carefull not to think they are historical documents.

JL

I agree, I do belive that the first two books are pretty authentic and based on his own experiences as a panzer soldier though.

Comment

I think 2 movies have been made..

Comment

Originally posted by Jens Thune View Post
            I think 2 movies have been made..
            Wheels of terror was one (Pretty dreadful as I seem to recall!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093546/

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I've read 'SS General', 'OGPU Prison', and 'Wheels of Terror'. The books were fun. I remember Porta caught on a barb-wire fence, farting up a storm, while the Russians were attacking! But as stated, the film 'The Misfit Brigade' is rediculous. I own it on VHS. I didn't know Oliver Reed and David Carradine could act that retarded.

Comment

Hi

As a youmg child I read most of the Sven Hassel books which were very popular in the seventies. Most of my generation took them as original memories of a battle hardened person who had "been there" But if you work out the titles of the books you realise that some of the battles could not have been authentic - unless "Sven" had been in several places at once!
                A case of wishful thinking I believe.
                In other words "A load of bollocks!"

Best regards,

John.

Comment

Originally posted by john moody View Post
                  Hi

As a youmg child I read most of the Sven Hassel books which were very popular in the seventies. Most of my generation took them as original memories of a battle hardened person who had "been there" But if you work out the titles of the books you realise that some of the battles could not have been authentic - unless "Sven" had been in several places at once!
                  A case of wishful thinking I believe.
                  In other words "A load of bollocks!"

Best regards,

John.
                  I can definitley agree about that to most of his books but do you think that about the two first books as well?

Comment

Like a lot of the people here, I read most of his books when I was in my mid teens and just starting to get an interest in military history.

At that stage in my life I was obviously unable to judge them objectively and whilst I found them enjoyable, I had no way of judging their accuracy or otherwise.

I think at the very least, some credit can be given to the books for firing up my interest in what 30 years later is still one of my major passions - WW2 military history.

Richie

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
                      Wheels of terror was one (Pretty dreadful as I seem to recall!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093546/

Cheers

Ian
                      Yes, Wheels of Terror, aka The Misfit Brigade, is pretty terrible.

Comment

What?

Sven Hassel is where I derived all of my knowledge of the Third Reich and I rely heavily on Karl May for my knowledge of the Wild West.

Comment

T I can't prove it-I think the writer who calls himself "Sven Hassel" might be the same guy who goes by the later nom de plume "Guy Sajer"....
                          The verbage is so,so similar...

Comment

He he I have read all of his books. There is almost nu real things in theese books. But they are very fun to read.
                            From time to time there is something in the papers about Sven here in DK, he is not liked very much.
                            Will se if I can find some of it.
                            Also what he thougt was a book, turned out to be a lot of loose paper.
                            Some editor put it all together so it could be read.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              Sven Hassel is where I derived all of my knowledge of the Third Reich and I rely heavily on Karl May for my knowledge of the Wild West.
                              I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X