The World at War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World at War

I was mildly dissapointed in the Ken Burns WWII so I dusted off my The World at War series and three quarters of the way through, it is still in my opinion the definative program of WWII.

Doug

Hi Doug, although a little dated at times, the "World at War" is still the best series about WW2 ever made.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
      Hi Doug, although a little dated at times, the "World at War" is still the best series about WW2 ever made.

Cheers, Ade.
      I agee 100%! I've never seen another documentary more comprehensive and informative. In my opinion, it stands alone as the best documentary of WWII ever recorded. I never get tired of watching it, no matter how many times I see it. A true treasure, indeed!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
        Without a shadow of a doubt. Many documentaries have been made in many different ways but the The World at War still stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Comment

I remember seeing segments of The World at War many years ago on some PBS station but never saw it completely. Your comments about it has rekindled my interest in it and I just purchased the 11 dvd, 30 year anniversary edition off ebay today. I am glad you brought this up in a thread and look forward to viewing it complete.
          Thanks Doug.
          Regards,
          Pete

Comment

I agree

I agree, used to wait with bated breath every Sunday night when I was in junior high school for the next episode which was aired on KSTP from the Twin Cities. One of the best aspects of it was that so many of the real movers and shakers of the war were still alive and interviewed; Karl Doenitz, Kay Summersby, Karl Wolff, etc.

KUrt Barickman

Comment

The opening music score was just as memorable IMO. Very distinctive and dramatic, and with the opening shots it just pulled me right into the past as the show began. It will always be the best.

Comment

I remember that show always being aired at 10:00 in the morning on Sundays about 10 years ago. Now I too am off to ebay to purchase a set. Memories........

-Shawn

Comment

Best WWII Documentary Ever! Very, very well done.

Comment

By far the best, the box set is one of my prized DVD's.
                    However, i find it quite dissapointing that no-one has managed to make anything that even comes close in all the years since it was made. I know most of the interviewed people are now dead but many of them left behind hours of interviews.
                    I guess it would just be too big & expensive to do these days.
                    Ant.

Comment

The same begining is used on the first and last part of the WORLD at WAR series."When the soilders came " and the French town is shown in it's present state,never rebuilt.Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

Whilst the whole series is without equal the episodes; "Red Star" and "Remember" are I believe virtuoso pieces of documentary making.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I'm currently wading through this beast:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-La...3972402&sr=8-2

It's verbatim scripts from all the interviews, most of which never got televised.

Highly recommend it to any World at War fans.

Chris

Comment

[QUOTE=stahlhelm47;2483732]I remember seeing segments of The World at War many years ago on some PBS station but never saw it completely. Your comments about it has rekindled my interest in it and I just purchased the 11 dvd, 30 year anniversary edition off ebay today. I am glad you brought this up in a thread and look forward to viewing it complete.
                            Thanks Doug.
                            Regards,
                            Pete[/QUOTE

I just oredered it too,Pete.Cant wait to see it again.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Man, talk about the power of influence. I just bought the 30th anniversary edition on Ebay as well. Between $30 and $40 seems to be the going price.

Can't wait to watch it again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X