Dirlewanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirlewanger

Just finished a Waffen SS book & there's passing comments on SS Sonderkammandos Dirlewanger and Kaminski.
    Was especially interested in Dirlewanger, it seems that his formation committed so many atrocities that even SS officials made complaints about its activities! There were even attempts to indict him by the SS legal office. Apparently one of the things he was known for was encouraging his men to loot, when he saw one of his own men with items thay had looted which he fancied he would simply shoot them dead & take the loot for himself.
    Any books out there regarding Dirlewanger?
    Thanks, Ant.

Get 'The cruel hunters' by French MacLean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruel-Hunter...1347503&sr=8-1
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I have the Ground Rohm of one of the last Commanders to
      survive and walk in to captivity.
      Seiler

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
        Get 'The cruel hunters' by French MacLean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruel-Hunter...1347503&sr=8-1
        Thanks Simon, will try & track down a cheaper copy.
        Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by Seiler View Post
          I have the Ground Rohm of one of the last Commanders to
          survive and walk in to captivity.
          Seiler
          Hi Seiler, sounds interesting, anything more you can add on this? I thought that his men were surrounded & cut off in the defence of the Oder & were mostly put to the sword there & then by the Russians.
          Any info on your Dagger's owner would be very interesting.
          Ant.

Comment

Have complete file,even pics of owner.
            Erich Buchmann.Old timer with lots of "big time" friends who took great care of him.Standartenfuhrer,Allg.Std 1 "Julius Schreck",Kdt of Radolsfell NCO School.
            Early 30s,"tough"on the streets Berlin.Bad heart in ,42.Sidelined for a time.Went to his old friend Gottlob Berger (I have copy of letter)wanted to fight in the East with Dirlewanger????? Nuts or what? Kdt of Regt.72.
            (Dirlewanger was his friend in the Freikorp after WW1)
            In the end hanged the CO Regt 72,ALL deserted.Buchmann left.Despite all his
            problems,heart etc,survived till death in,72.He was subject to a Dizipline trial
            for taking military vehicles to take grads from School on razzle,booze hookers.
            Saved by the "Old Elite" of the SS his old friends.He joined in 1930.
            Interesting trial file which I am translating bit by bit.
            But I know what he looked like.Very smart in his Allg and Waffen uniforms.
            Even have pic from 1931 in his khaki shirt with kepi.
            Cheers
            Seiler (PS,its an early small oval Boker)

Comment

Fantastic stuff Seiler, really interesting, you are a lucky man to have got a dagger with so much history that is available.
              Don't suppose you have a picture of him & the dagger on your computer? Would love to see the two together, what a piece of history.
              Thanks for sharing.
              Ant.

Comment

Thank you.Right now cant do but I have someone who can.Let you know.
                Cheers
                Seiler

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X