The 1st Fallschirmjager Division by Ben Christensen - 2 volume set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1st Fallschirmjager Division by Ben Christensen - 2 volume set

I have enjoyed reading both volumes: Vol. One - The Years of Attack and Vol. Two - The Years of Retreat.

The author has done a noteworthy job in documenting the formation and evolution of the divison's components, providing insight about the division's personnel to include the well-known personalities as well as the lesser lights, and of course in detailing the campaigns and battles from Poland, through the low countries to Norway, Corinth, Crete, the Russian interludes, Sicily, Italy (naturally focusing on the Cassino battles), Normandy and the Ardennes. I particularly enjoyed the first-hand accounts from both German and allied perspectives.

The quality of the binding, printing and paper is first rate. The numerous illustrations include certain photos that I have not seen before as well as several colour maps.

However, it must be said that both volumes suffer from large numbers of typographical errors, mis-spellings, grammar, and punctuation errors. It is a pity that the books are marred by these shortcomings which, it seems to me, are the result of inadequate proof-reading. Perhaps Schiffer just skips this necessary step altogether - it seems to be an endemic problem perhaps resulting from this publisher's haste to get the books out the door.

Still, despite the problems, I would recommend these volumes to those interested in The 1st Fallschirmjager Division .

Yes, you are so correct about Schiffer's poor, or even non-existent editing. I have very mixed feelings regarding this publisher; while some of their military books are outstanding, others are clearly hurried, slapdash efforts rushed into print. At their prices, I expect better. I have books from them that I cherish, others that are just taking up space. Overall, I suppose we should be thankful for their efforts, but I also believe that the two French publishers, Heimdal, and Histoire & Collections do an outstanding job, depite sometimes weak translations. I am at least able to read the captions, and most of the text, but some folks can't, so I understand their frustration.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

I purchased volume 1 last week, whilst I cannot confess to reading the entire volume I was extremely disappointed. The book is lacking in originality, all of the pictures have been published before and some have been "scanned" from other publications. The content is sadly lacking in detail and makes few references to former members of FJD.1 other then the information already published on certain individuals. Sadly this publication is lacking in research and a great disappointment for me and not worth the price tag £60 ($120).

Regards

David

Comment

After browsing both volumes, my most recent post-christmas present to myself, i concur with the work done by the author to present a full history of this unit, however, i was most disappointed not only with the errors but also the illustrations. With poor image quality and a curious lack of references used, i am left disappointed after spending 120 bucks for both of these.

Comment

Hmm, the sample illustrations available on www.rzm.com do not suggest poor reproduction.

David, where have the illustrations been published before? I am asking this for I will never forget one reviewer of a book on Hawker Hurricane which he severely criticised for having little new for attendees of Royal Aeronautical Society lectures giving the impression that RAeS lectures are part and parcel of every book buyer.

Comment

Pictures etc...?

Mike how many pictures are there again in both books,and many new ones right.Also on maps not many,i wish that more FJ books or one would be made up of maps and say units.Also divison breakdowns,weapons,euipment etc... they have.Even having stats like numbers that served,the losses in certain countries,total wounded,killed etc..There is no book liek that is there,maybe these things of course in other FJ or WW2 books.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
              Hmm, the sample illustrations available on
              www.rzm.com do not suggest poor reproduction.

David, where have the illustrations been published before? I am asking this for I will never forget one reviewer of a book on Hawker Hurricane which he severely criticised for having little new for attendees of Royal Aeronautical Society lectures giving the impression that RAeS lectures are part and parcel of every book buyer.
              Unfortunately I do not have the time to highlight every published image in this publication and I trust that most would concur with me, it being unnecessary to comment on unrelated FJ images in this book, including the images of medals, general photos of barrack buildings, aircraft and Hitler youth photos. But without quoting the entire book here are some examples….

The fruits of three hours of searching and referencing are listed below up to Pg. 113. Most of the images in the remainder of the book can be seen in either in the books referenced below or can be found in various publication of Der Deutsche Fallschirmjäger over the pass 50 years. Sorry I can spend any more time searching..

The 1st Fj Division in World War II, Ben Christensen

Volume 1

Previously published photos

Front cover – well known publicised both during and after war, example
              Pg. 6 – to be found
              Pg. 8/9 – seen in Kurzowski, Franz, Deutsche FJ 1939-1945 Pg. 23
              Pg. 11 – seen in Klaus, Peters, Vol.2, FJR.3 Pg. 630
              Pg. 13 – Pre-War
              Pg. 14 – to be found
              Pg. 15- Bundeswehr
              Pg. 16- Top right, to be found
              Pg. 16 – Bottom right, to be found
              Pg. 20 - Top right, seen in Green Devils, Jean-Yves Nasse Pg. 3
              Pg. 20 - Top left, to be found
              Pg. 20 - Bottom, to be found
              Pg. 24 - to be found
              Pg. 25 - seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 334
              Pg. 27 - Bottom right, seen in Geroge Forty, Battle of Crete 48
              Pg. 27 - Bottom left, seen in Green Devils, Jean-Yves Nasse Pg. 7
              Pg. 27 - Top, seen in seen in Klaus, Peters, Vol.1, FJR.3 Pg. 65
              Pg. 28 - Top left, seen in Geroge Forty, Battle of Crete 45
              Pg. 28 - Top right, seen in Klaus, Peters, Vol.1, FJR.3 Pg. 76
              Pg. 28 - Bottom, to be found
              Pg. 30 - to be found
              Pg. 31 – seen in Hitler’s Sky Warriors, C. Ailsby, Pg. 26
              Pg. 32 – to be found
              Pg. 34 – seen in Der Deutsch Fallschirmjäger,
              Pg. 35 – to be found
              Pg. 38 – Top, seen in Klaus, Peters, Vol.1, FJR.3 Pg. 160
              Pg. 38 – Bottom, to be found
              Pg. 39 – seen in Green Devils, Jean-Yves Nasse Pg. 17
              Pg. 41 – seen in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 73
              Pg. 42 – seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 138
              Pg. 43 – left, seen in Robert Kurtz, German Paratroopers, Pg. 183
              Pg. 43 – right, seen in Green Devils, Jean-Yves Nasse Pg. 26
              Pg. 45 – to be found
              Pg. 46 – Seen the glider pilot on the left of this picture before, can’t find it though
              Pg. 49 – to be found
              Pg. 51 – to be found
              Pg. 52 – left, to be found
              Pg. 52 – right Franz Kurowski, Knight’s Cross holders of the Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 206
              Pg. 56 – to be found
              Pg. 58 – left, J. seen in Jochim, Das Bollwerk am Albert kanal, Pg. 6
              Pg. 58 – middle, seen in J. Jochim, Das Bollwerk am Albert kanal, Pg. 5
              Pg. 58 – right, seen in J. Jochim, Das Bollwerk am Albert kanal, Pg. 5
              Pg. 59 – seen in Eric Queen, Red shines the Sun, Pg. 144
              Pg. 60 – Top, to be found
              Pg. 60 – Bottom, seen in L’Operation “Merkur” 39 45 Magazine, Pg. 93
              Pg. 61 – seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 40
              Pg. 64 – Der Deutsch Fallschirmjäger, 2/2002
              Pg. 65 – seen in Robert Kurtz, German Paratroopers, Pg. 183
              Pg. 67 –left, to be found
              Pg. 67 –right, to be found
              Pg. 68 – left, seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 6
              Pg. 68 – right, seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 8
              Pg. 69 –top, to be found
              Pg. 69 –bottom, seen in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 49
              Pg. 70 –left, seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 248
              Pg. 70 –right, seen in J. Jochim, Das Bollwerk am Albert kanal, Pg. 5
              Pg. 74 – seen in Robert Kurtz, German Paratroopers, Pg. 183
              Pg. 75 – to be found
              Pg. 75 – to be found
              Pg. 97 –seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 327
              Pg. 100 – Top photo, seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 140
              Pg. 100 – Bottom photo, seen in Klaus, Peters, Vol.1, FJR.3 Pg. 230
              Pg. 101 – to be found
              Pg. 101 –bottom, in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 45
              Pg. 102 – top, seen in Franz Thomas and Gueter Wegmann, Die Ritterkreuz der Deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 Teil II Fallschirmjäger, Pg. 125
              Pg. 103 –top, seen in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 18
              Pg. 103 –bottom, to be found
              Pg. 104 – top, to be found
              Pg. 104 – bottom, to be found
              Pg. 108 – left, to be found
              Pg. 108 – right, to be found
              Pg. 109 - seen in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 40
              Pg. 112 –top, to be found
              Pg. 112 –bottom, to be found
              Pg. 113 - seen in Arnold von Roon, Bildchronik der fallschirmtruppe, 40
              Last edited by David Lenk; 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Well, David, I have none of the above books you listed, therefore, no previously seen photos from my PoV. Plus, why should the photos be new anyway? Do you buy books only for pictures to watch, not for reading?

Comment

Well, David, I have none of the above books you listed, therefore, no previously seen photos from my PoV. Plus, why should the photos be new anyway? Do you buy books only for pictures to watch, not for reading?
                  Yes I have read the book now and no not just the pictures are important too me, but you did ask.

Well, I wish you the best of luck with your purchase. I am glad you are pleased with book.

As I am an experienced reader and researcher on this subject and my point of view is that the book contains no break through on currently available information regarding FJD.1, no detailed maps of deployment, no reasonable officer and NCO listings, no feldpost numbers, little detail on causality listings, little detail on strengths, little detail on equipment etc, etc…… Try reading Kammann, W Der Weg der 2. Fallschirmjagerdivision as a comparison I'm sure you will see the difference. Just make sure it has all the charts that come with it. ;-)

Comment

Yes I have read the book now and no not just the pictures are important too me, but you did ask.

Well, I wish you the best of luck with your purchase. I am glad you are pleased with book.

As I am an experienced reader and researcher on this subject and my point of view is that the book contains no break through on currently available information regarding FJD.1, no detailed maps of deployment, no reasonable officer and NCO listings, no feldpost numbers, little detail on causality listings, little detail on strengths, little detail on equipment etc, etc…… Try reading Kammann, W Der Weg der 2. Fallschirmjagerdivision as a comparison I'm sure you will see the difference. Just make sure it has all the charts that come with it. ;-) You will get this for a faction of the cost!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X