Days of Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days of Glory

I watched this oscar nominated movie last night and I thought it was pretty good.
    It's the story of North African soldiers recruited into the French Army to fight in Italy and later in France during WWII. They not only have to battle against the Germans but also against discrimination within their own Army and the French Government that's still going on to this day.
    There's nothing inparticular that truly stands out about the movie but it's well made with good acting and the subject matter is not one I was aware of before.
    Definitely worth a look.
    http://www.daysofglorythefilm.com/

BenVK,

Thanks for the info about the movie. I'm always looking for something new, and I'll be sure to check that one out.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Hello,
      I've seen this movie. Original french title is far less presumtuous than english title : "INDIGENES" (means native or indigenous).
      I took some pleasure watching it but have been annoyed with a few details : the actor Jamel Debbouze, huge french star, can't use his right arm in real life and this is the same thing for his character. Recruting in the army someone who can't fire a rifle is a bit strange. Nevetheless, fortunatly he knows how to use a handgun.
      I know this is only a movie, but sometimes they could think a bit before filming.
      During the final fight agaisnt the germans, the latter fire a Panzerschreck from the inside of small rooms, with no damage from the backfire. Also, i'm being a bit more technical here, but germany produced 289151 Raketen-Panzerbüschen of all types until the end of the war, and 2218400 R-P Granaten, that's make less than 10 rockets for each weapon produced. And in the movie, the germans fire maybe 5 or 6 rockets trying to kill 4 soldiers !!!
      (I know some similar stories about british troops during the Falklands campaign, firing Milan missiles just to quell some argentinians defenses)
      Still a nice movie to watch and quite instructive on how France usually treats the men who served with honor and bravery in its rank. WWI, WWII, Indochina, Algeria etc.....always the same story, WE NEED YOU UNTIL....
      Last edited by JPhilip; 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I thought it was a good movie that talks about an aspect of the war that is seldom mentioned. Good stuff.

Comment

I picked up a copy at Walmart, I thought it was good, but I buy all war movies.
          Steve

Comment

I watched this film this afternoon and I must say I quite enjoyed it.

I did not realise about Jamel Debbouze's bad arm in real life and thought it was odd how he kept his hand in his pocket? Thanks for that.

The use of REO trucks instead of GMC's and the use of an M151 MUTT instead of a Jeep was a bit annoying to a WW2 vehicle buff like me, but one the whole not a bad effort kit wise.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I thought the use of post-Vietnam War M1 helmets was a big faux pas, especially when you could see WWII helmets being worn on some of the extras. You'd think they would get the main characters the real thing!

Interesting story however, and the battle scene at the end was pretty good with some fairly accurate looking Germans.

Another group of overlooked "indigenous" fighters in WWII are the Indians who fought for the British in North Africa, Italy, and Asia.

Comment

Hi

I enjoyed the film, but was disappointed after being seduced by the excellent reviews it received.

It was good, but it was not great

Raymond

Comment

Valkyrie

In the short film strip which you can watch on below address, you will notice the explosion of Stauffenbergs bomb. Look closely, the explosion takes place in a bunker but inreality, the (Lagebesprechung) meeting was held in a wooden building close to the bunker. Had it been held in the bunker, probably most of the present ones would have been killed.
                  I wonder how many more boo-boos will be made.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=917&item=0

Best regards,
                  Rudi S.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X