Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Book by the Son of an RK Winner

http://www.agermanlife.com/
    “A German Life by Bernd Wollschlaeger, M.D.
    When my children started asking questions about my parents, I decided to break the wall of silence and tell them the truth about me. I needed to express what compelled me to dramatically change my life. I finally had to explore the relationship with my father and how it was overshadowed by the Holocaust. Our unresolved conflict and his denial motivated me to search for answers, and I found them within me and my acquired faith: Against all odds, change is possible... This is my story.”

This past July a friend of mine showed me a newspaper article about the son of a “Nazi” war hero who was writing a book about his experiences with his father and his own conversion to Judaism. The story was of special interest to me because the war hero involved was Artur Wollschlaeger, an RK winner from Panzer-Regiment 35 and comrade, known as “Wolli,” of Meinrad von Lauchert, another PR 35 RK winner whose biography I am writing.

My first reaction, as most people’s probably is, was one of skepticism about the son’s conversion to Judaism and how it seemed like an overreaction to his father’s Nazi past. I looked up the author’s website and read through the material there. My skepticism was further reinforced by the technical mistakes I saw in Bernd Wollschlaeger’s description of his father’s wartime service. However, I contacted him anyway in case he was interested in trading info about his father and Meinrad von Lauchert. (Because most of Lauchert’s comrades have passed away, I have more recently been finishing my research through contacts with the next generation.)

Bernd graciously received my emails and comments about the technical errors, but his book was in the late stages of the publication process. He sent me one of the first copies of the book earlier this month and it was waiting for me when I arrived back from my latest trip to Germany. The best compliment I can give the book is that I received it on a Friday evening and finished it by midday the next day!

I can’t say it was the book I expected it to be, it was much better than that. Although a small number of errors remain about his father’s war record, the book isn’t a biography of his father and so those particular details don’t matter a bit to the story. Of course, it is Bernd’s story, but as I see it, it also is the story of how the war continues to have repercussions for the vets and their families in Germany.

I think most people who participate in WW2 forums like this one are interested in the people behind the uniforms. And although we spend a lot of time studying what they experienced during the war, I think there should be attention paid to the “danach” or what happened after the guns fell silent. There was the Existenzkampf, then the Wirtschaftswunder, and finally, when their children became grown, there was the confrontation with the past – a process which continues even today with examples like the revelation that Guenter Grass, an outspoken “champion of peace”, had been a Waffen-SS soldier.

One particular discussion in Bernd Wollschlaeger’s book that I found interesting was the issue of the postwar German Left’s support for the Palestinians against the Israelis, even to the point of staying silent, if not condoning, terrorist attacks. But don’t think that Bernd’s book is a polemic in support of one side or another in the postwar German political scene. He shows understanding for all points of view, even for his father’s with whom he made the strongest break a son can make.

The book is 218 pages long - tightly-written and fast-moving so that he covers a lot of thought-provoking ground without getting mired down.

In short, I highly recommend this book and believe that you will be hearing more about it in months to come.

Frederick Clemens
    Last edited by F L Clemens; 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM.

Thank you for recommending this book to us with such an equivocal and eloquent post. I will have to say that I cannot see myself reading this book, however well written it may be. For me loyalty comes first and loyalty for family is the most sacred thing after our relationship with God. So any betrayal of a son against his father is something I find completely disgusting and despicable. Whatever the reason. No matter what my father would do, I would never be a traitor to him. He did all he could to give me love and life, just like the author's father must have. The author's father did not directly harm the son, nor did he for all intents and purposes participate directly in the holocaust. For the son to betray and disown his own father is for me a much worse monster than being a holocaust perpetrator. Dante had a special place for such sons.
    Perhaps I will now get in trouble for speaking my mind?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexandrosPella View Post
      ...For the son to betray and disown his own father is for me a much worse monster than being a holocaust perpetrator....
      Hopefully, you are exaggerating a bit when you suggest that breaking with your father is more of a crime than industrialized murder.

I think if you read the book, you will see that the break does not come quickly or easily or without regret. And I think that even if you still don't agree with the decision made by the son, if you are interested in modern German history, you would still find the story informative.

Comment

Originally posted by F L Clemens View Post
        http://www.agermanlife.com/
        “A German Life by Bernd Wollschlaeger, M.D.
        When my children started asking questions about my parents, I decided to break the wall of silence and tell them the truth about me. I needed to express what compelled me to dramatically change my life. I finally had to explore the relationship with my father and how it was overshadowed by the Holocaust. Our unresolved conflict and his denial motivated me to search for answers, and I found them within me and my acquired faith: Against all odds, change is possible... This is my story.”

This past July a friend of mine showed me a newspaper article about the son of a “Nazi” war hero who was writing a book about his experiences with his father and his own conversion to Judaism. The story was of special interest to me because the war hero involved was Artur Wollschlaeger, an RK winner from Panzer-Regiment 35 and comrade, known as “Wolli,” of Meinrad von Lauchert, another PR 35 RK winner whose biography I am writing.

My first reaction, as most people’s probably is, was one of skepticism about the son’s conversion to Judaism and how it seemed like an overreaction to his father’s Nazi past. I looked up the author’s website and read through the material there. My skepticism was further reinforced by the technical mistakes I saw in Bernd Wollschlaeger’s description of his father’s wartime service. However, I contacted him anyway in case he was interested in trading info about his father and Meinrad von Lauchert. (Because most of Lauchert’s comrades have passed away, I have more recently been finishing my research through contacts with the next generation.)

Bernd graciously received my emails and comments about the technical errors, but his book was in the late stages of the publication process. He sent me one of the first copies of the book earlier this month and it was waiting for me when I arrived back from my latest trip to Germany. The best compliment I can give the book is that I received it on a Friday evening and finished it by midday the next day!

I can’t say it was the book I expected it to be, it was much better than that. Although a small number of errors remain about his father’s war record, the book isn’t a biography of his father and so those particular details don’t matter a bit to the story. Of course, it is Bernd’s story, but as I see it, it also is the story of how the war continues to have repercussions for the vets and their families in Germany.

I think most people who participate in WW2 forums like this one are interested in the people behind the uniforms. And although we spend a lot of time studying what they experienced during the war, I think there should be attention paid to the “danach” or what happened after the guns fell silent. There was the Existenzkampf, then the Wirtschaftswunder, and finally, when their children became grown, there was the confrontation with the past – a process which continues even today with examples like the revelation that Guenter Grass, an outspoken “champion of peace”, had been a Waffen-SS soldier.

One particular discussion in Bernd Wollschlaeger’s book that I found interesting was the issue of the postwar German Left’s support for the Palestinians against the Israelis, even to the point of staying silent, if not condoning, terrorist attacks. But don’t think that Bernd’s book is a polemic in support of one side or another in the postwar German political scene. He shows understanding for all points of view, even for his father’s with whom he made the strongest break a son can make.

The book is 218 pages long - tightly-written and fast-moving so that he covers a lot of thought-provoking ground without getting mired down.

In short, I highly recommend this book and believe that you will be hearing more about it in months to come.

Frederick Clemens
        This book looks 'right up my street' and I will be definatly placing this on the 'wanted list'.

Thank you for the information.

Regards Richard.
        Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorge64 View Post
          This book looks 'right up my street' and I will be definatly placing this on the 'wanted list'.
          Thank you for the information.
          Regards Richard.
          No problem. Like I tried to say in the review, it's not really a military history book - it's a personal story but it does help put military history in the context of the family lives of the soldiers who made the history.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X