Wan't to order Torpedos Los

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wan't to order Torpedos Los

I would like to know what reputable company / person sells this book. Does anyone have a web sight that has this book. Thanks Steve

Torpedos Los

Originally posted by sshort View Post
    I would like to know what reputable company / person sells this book. Does anyone have a web sight that has this book. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,
    Here is where I bought mine, straight from the publisher.
    http://www.bender-publishing.com/

Regards,
    Jody

Comment

And don't forget, you get a discount as a WAF association member
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hmmm.......... Torpedos Los?

The only book by that title that I know of is:

Schmidt, Rudi. Achtung - Torpedos Los!: Der Strategische und Operative Einsatz des Kampfgeschwader 26 (Koblenz: Bernard & Graefe, 1991).

Has R. James Bender Publishing obtained the rights and reprinted this, or is there another book with Torpedos Los in the title that I don't know about?

--BHS1956

Comment

Torpedos Los

Originally posted by BHS1956 View Post
          Hmmm.......... Torpedos Los?

The only book by that title that I know of is:

Schmidt, Rudi. Achtung - Torpedos Los!: Der Strategische und Operative Einsatz des Kampfgeschwader 26 (Koblenz: Bernard & Graefe, 1991).

Has R. James Bender Publishing obtained the rights and reprinted this, or is there another book with Torpedos Los in the title that I don't know about?

--BHS1956
          Hello,
          This is not the same book. The Bender book is by Gordon Williamson and the entire book is on the area of U-boat militaria. The book is mainly in color and has chapters on headgear, Imperial U-boat awards, WW2 U-boat badges (by maker), edged weapons, clothing, RK winners,equipment used on board U-boats, 1957 awards and uniforms, etc. It is really a must have.

I think the cover of the Bender book explains it all.

Regards,
          Jody
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, Jody! Yes, I would imagine that book will be an important addition for the shelves of the collector community. I'm not a collector, so I guess that's the reason I didn't recognize the title. BTW, the book I cited is a good unit history for those who read German. Rudi Schmidt was a Major and Gruppenkommandeur in KG 26 and he and his Gruppe torpedoed a hell of a lot of Allied shipping off northern Norway and in the Mediterranean during the war.

--BHS1956

Comment

Thanks Jody and Simon. You have been a lot of help.

Comment

Steve,

Jody has explained the contents of the book.I can only add that it is an excellent book and a must for anyone interested in U-Boat and Kriegsmarine history.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Torpedo Los! review

Here is the review of Torpedo Los! that was printed in the July 2007 issue of Military Trader. The reviewer had added a note to me that said, "This book is outstanding! I highly recommend that you consider it for Military Trader's Book of the Year award."

That was a heck of an endorsement!

John A-G
                  Editor, Military Trader
                  www.militarytrader.com

Torpedo Los! The Fascinating World of U-Boat Collectibles, by Gordon Williamson (ISBN 932970-02-9-2, R. James Bender Publishing, P.O. Box 23456, San Jose, CA 95153, phone: 408.225.5777, fax: 408.225.0407, Web site: www.bender-publishing.com, e-mail: order@bender-publishing.com. Hardcover, 8-1/2" x 11", 415 pages, approx. 800 color and 400 black-and- white photos, 2006, $79.95).
                  Torpedo Los! is a remarkable study of U-boat memorabilia. At 415 pages, it is a massive reference and the most comprehensive work on the subject to date. The emphasis is on collectibles, so the book covers articles that are commonly traded in the militaria marketplace. Thus, there are chapters on uniforms, headgear, cap ribbons, and rank and trade insignia. Further chapters delve into the U-boat badge, gallantry and miscellaneous awards, decorations, personal documentation, equipment (binoculars, navigational instruments, life vests, signaling lamps, etc.), personal weapons, and flags and pennants. Although the book is primarily about WWII U-boat collectibles, there are two chapters on WWI and post-WWII German submarine memorabilia. Also, although not exactly a collectible because it is a one-of-a-kind artifact, the Dönitz grand admiral’s staff merits a chapter as well.
                  Granted, this is not an exhaustive, all-inclusive catalog, but it does an admirable job of presenting the main types of U-boat collectibles in each covered category, as well as rarities and variant pieces. More than half of the roughly 1,200 photographs, printed with excellent clarity on glossy stock, are color images of specimen pieces, including hundreds of fine-detail shots. To illustrate the pieces as they appeared in wartime service, there are hundreds of vintage photographs of officers and crewmen, both studio portraits and snapshots of the men at sea and at their bases.
                  The accompanying text is concise but provides pertinent information on the history of the particular item, a description, and helpful commentary on distinguishing characteristics of variants and pieces by differing manufacturers. A list of references for further study would have been a helpful bonus.
                  Torpedo Los! is destined to become one of the essential references on the U-boat service in WWII. It is one that deserves a spot in every U-boat and Kriegsmarine study collection.— Thomas R. Kailbourn

Comment

Torpedos Los

Originally posted by jagjetta View Post
                    Here is the review of Torpedo Los! that was printed in the July 2007 issue of Military Trader. The reviewer had added a note to me that said, "This book is outstanding! I highly recommend that you consider it for Military Trader's Book of the Year award."

That was a heck of an endorsement!

John A-G
                    Editor, Military Trader
                    www.militarytrader.com

Torpedo Los! The Fascinating World of U-Boat Collectibles, by Gordon Williamson (ISBN 932970-02-9-2, R. James Bender Publishing, P.O. Box 23456, San Jose, CA 95153, phone: 408.225.5777, fax: 408.225.0407, Web site: www.bender-publishing.com, e-mail: order@bender-publishing.com. Hardcover, 8-1/2" x 11", 415 pages, approx. 800 color and 400 black-and- white photos, 2006, $79.95).
                    Torpedo Los! is a remarkable study of U-boat memorabilia. At 415 pages, it is a massive reference and the most comprehensive work on the subject to date. The emphasis is on collectibles, so the book covers articles that are commonly traded in the militaria marketplace. Thus, there are chapters on uniforms, headgear, cap ribbons, and rank and trade insignia. Further chapters delve into the U-boat badge, gallantry and miscellaneous awards, decorations, personal documentation, equipment (binoculars, navigational instruments, life vests, signaling lamps, etc.), personal weapons, and flags and pennants. Although the book is primarily about WWII U-boat collectibles, there are two chapters on WWI and post-WWII German submarine memorabilia. Also, although not exactly a collectible because it is a one-of-a-kind artifact, the Dönitz grand admiral’s staff merits a chapter as well.
                    Granted, this is not an exhaustive, all-inclusive catalog, but it does an admirable job of presenting the main types of U-boat collectibles in each covered category, as well as rarities and variant pieces. More than half of the roughly 1,200 photographs, printed with excellent clarity on glossy stock, are color images of specimen pieces, including hundreds of fine-detail shots. To illustrate the pieces as they appeared in wartime service, there are hundreds of vintage photographs of officers and crewmen, both studio portraits and snapshots of the men at sea and at their bases.
                    The accompanying text is concise but provides pertinent information on the history of the particular item, a description, and helpful commentary on distinguishing characteristics of variants and pieces by differing manufacturers. A list of references for further study would have been a helpful bonus.
                    Torpedo Los! is destined to become one of the essential references on the U-boat service in WWII. It is one that deserves a spot in every U-boat and Kriegsmarine study collection.— Thomas R. Kailbourn

Hello,
                    That is a great review and I agree with it! If you are into KM stuff this book is a must have.

Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X