Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandads paybook

Hi All,

This is my Grandads Sailors pay book, which my dad found a few days ago. This was before my Grandad was promoted to Sub. Lt., although you can see in here his promotion to Temp. Sub. Lt.

My grandad finished the war with lots of campagain medals.

- 1939-45 Star
    - Africa Star
    - Atlantic Star
    - Burma Star
    - Pacific Star

as well as New Zealand/British service medals.
    Attached Files

Photo
    Attached Files

Comment

Changes in pay
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi David,

Thats a great item! The Navy paybooks are harder to find than the army ones. Thanks for showing it.

Regards,

Des

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Are you sure he had both Pacific and Burma Stars? The regulations stated that you would receive the bar of the second that was earned for these two

Comment

HMS Ganges - one of my uncles was there just after WWII as a boy - it was a training centre.
              I've never seen one of these, only army & RAF ones.
              Jim Mc'll know all about these nautical things.

Comment

Paybooks were no longer used as an identity document by the time I joined in '69. Mine never had a photograph and during my time in collected few entries. I think about the only entries mine had was passing the swimming test, a couple of medical examinations and some loan clothing issues.

There should be a partition inside the back cover to hold the quarterly pay statements. These were about A3 size written with a good old quill pen by the "scribes". These were superceded in 1971(ish) by monthly computer print outs in a more manageable size.

I still had to hand it in on leaving, any that are out there would not have been kept with the agreement of the Navy.

Later issues were also a much brighter green colour.

Comment

In fact I have got a RN "paybook", it's to someone who was in a supervisory position during the construction of the "Turbinia", comes with a few other bits & pieces including photos of the vessel during construction.

My maternal grandfather joined the RN as a boy, shortly after the end of WWI, left years later, rejoined for WWII.

I want to locate photos (copies are okay) of every vessel he served on, some are well known & others are fairly obscure - Malay hospital ships or the like.

Comment

Some pictures here http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Comment

Ta, got to sort through & see what I can match up re. ships & dates etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X