Soldbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbook

Hi all, I do not know anything about soldbooks and was wondering why the SS used soldbooks with the army eagle while I see some that are marked with the SS ruins. What would determine the type of book they carried? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, DEL

Del,

As far as I know there was no real methodology behind this. It was more a matter of supply. When the SS marked books ran out they issued what they had on hand
    (i.e. the books with the army covers ). This was the case not only for the SS but for the other branches as well. I have seen a number of soldbuchs issued to paratroopers and other flight personnel with brown army covers rather than the Luftwaffe ones in blue. And, have seen a luftwaffe one which was issued to an army infantry soldier ( wearing the M-43 tunic in the photo )

Hope this helps

EQ

Comment

Hello Del: another possibility is when reinforcements to Waffen-SS units were sent starting in late 1944 oftentimes they consisted of complete units and/or individuals belonging to other branches of the Wehrmacht (i.e. L.W., K.M.). They already were issued Soldbuch when first processed. There was really no reason to reissue them with Waffen-SS Soldbuch, only the transfer needed to be recorded therein.
      Bernhard.H.Holst

Comment

Hello Del,

I believe that the SS books with army covers were issued prior to the proper runic cover coming into full issue although I am sure that army covers were issued well into the war. I have 2 SS Soldbuchs with army covers one to a soldier in Regt Germania issued in 1939 the other to a soldier in Das Reich issued in March 42. I also have a photo of Soldiers from Rgt Deutschland waving their newly issued Soldbooks in 1938 all with Army covers. Maybe an expert like Gordon Williamson would like to comment?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. It cleared up alot of my questions. Best regards, DEL

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 05-03-2005, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X