Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger Rgt 3 book

Hello fellows

I am reading and enjoying the book Fallschirmjäger Rgt 3, volume 2. Now I found some kind of a strange thing.

On page 133 is the award doc for the Iron cross 2nd class pictured to O. Gappa. Signed by Heydte and dated 12th June 1941. Heydte signed as Major!

My question is how can Heydte sign as Major if he only was promoted to Major 1st August 1941?

In the same book on page 171 is a award doc shown for a wound badge dated 26th July 1941. The doc is also signed by Heydte but this time (correct) as Hauptmann.

As anyone a explanation for this kind of acting?

Jürg
    Strength and Honour
    http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Perhaps the award was actually awarded after August, but earned in June
    DaveJ

Comment

One sees anomalies like this from time to time. In this case, the EKII was clearly awarded to Oberjäger Gappa on June 12th 1941 for Crete the previous month. But the document was probably filled out after August 1st and signed by Freiherr von der Heydte as Major and Battalion CO.

There could be a number of reasons for this. Gappa would have been recommended for his award once the fighting was over and his OC had the time to send the papers to HQ. Gappa's EKII recommendation was probably passed on June 12th 1941. The award document was obviously filled out after August 1st 1941 but back-dated to the date of official approval of the award.

Freiherr von der Heydte was awarded the Ritterkreuz on July 9th 1941 and presented to Adolf Hitler at the Wolfsschanze in Rastenburg in East Prussia, incidentally the childhood home of the iconic 1960s fashion model Veruschka, who remembers the HQ very well. But I digress. VDH would have been granted a home leave - usually two weeks - after his RK award, which might explain why Gappa's document was not signed until August.

Hans Mordhorst, a former army paratrooper, was wounded on May 20th on Crete. His award document was signed by von der Heydte on July 26th. July 9th...July 26th...two weeks leave plus a travel day at each end. Does anyone have VDH's soldbuch. VDH must have signed it just after his return. Had it been further down in the stack of documents waiting to be signed by von der Heydte, he might have signed it after August 1st as 'Major'.

More interesting is the document on P. 227 for the Black Wound Badge to Feldwebel Rentsch of 1./FJ-R3 dated December 13th 1941. It is signed by Bn CO von der Heydte...as a Hauptmann, even though he was indeed promoted to Major on August 1st 1941.

Of interest too is the fact that Hauptmann und Btl-Kdr Freiherr von der Heydte was CO of the 1st Bn, 3rd Para Regt in Crete yet he signs the EKII document as Bn CO to a member of the 3rd Bn, Oberjäger Gappa.

Prosper Keating

Comment

Hi-
        Maybe there could be a couple of hints in von der Heydte's book?

Comment

I am sure there are. I am just promoting 'questioning minds' and the careful study and evaluation of documents in relation to history. The suggestion to read VDH's book is a good one. Actually, I haven't read it myself for ages! From time to time, one sees members here buying paperwork without really knowing or understanding what they are buying. And from time to time, they get stung by fakes. It happens to us all. But if the less experienced collectors can be encouraged to ask themselves about basics like dates, unit stamps, ranks, and unit details in relation to one another, then that's a good start.

Prosper

Comment

FJR 3book

Thanks Prosper for you comment.

But the Heydte signature on this documents is indeed unusual. I mean if Heydte really signed as Major but was actually only Hauptmann, that would be a great breach of regulation and a insult. But I don't think he did that rather the doc was backdated as Prosper stated.

For me as a starter in the para subject (because I was only into Panzer related docs and stuff) I found that strange and therefore worth a posting.
            Thanks all who gave their opinions on that.

happy Easter

Jürg
            Strength and Honour
            http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X