Movie: Pan's Labyrinth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie: Pan's Labyrinth

I was dragged to this with the wife the other day--I didn't know what it was about, but I knew it was some sort of fantasy film--and I didn't care for Narnia or the Rings Trilogy.

Much to my surprise, the film had historical ovetones--it takes place in Spain in 1944, with Franco's troops establishing an outpost to go after the remaining Red Loyalists who were operating as guerilla fighters. However, the movie is primarily from the perspective of a 7 year old girl, whose mother is about to give birth to the Fascist captain's son.

The film works on many different levels, and is in Spanish--if you want to see the trailer, go to imdb.com--I highly recommend it, although it is very violent in parts, and is NOT for kids--(one family walked out during it).
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

I've seen the movie several times and I can tell you it's definitely one of those sleeper hits that managed to catch some pretty rave review. I found the setting in Franco's Spain, 1944 for the film to be unique and fascinating to watch the characters develop in. It's essentially a wonderful blending of an historical context coupled with a fantasy overtone.

Not to reveal too much, but the general plot is that a seven year old girl and her pregnant mother are traveling to a remote area in Spain to meet a brutal Captain Vidal, who is the mother's new husband. As the Captain is fixated on eliminating what is left of the resistance in the area, the girl enters this fantasy realm which she holds a particular destiny and must complete certain tasks in order to fulfill it.

Not to mention for the militaria collector, there are some beautiful Spanish uniforms in the film.

Comment

My oldest son told me this is a "must see". I'm glad to hear that other forum members are into some alternative films. There are some surprisingly good movies coming out of Spain of late, especially of this genre. Keep us posted of your movie finds.

Comment

Just saw this one last night. The Spanish Civil War element was so well done. Brutal, gruesome, and what I imagine must be close to reality weaved in with a fantasy story that walk and work side-by-side. You must be in the mood, and you better not mind seeing some rough stuff. This Mexican-made Spanish film pulls few punches.
        Marc

Comment

Good Movie

Yup, I liked it a lot. A breathe of fresh Air. On a different note, if you wanna see Christian Bale really act go find a copy of "The Machinist".

Comment

Del Toro is a visual genius.

There are few working to day to match his imagination, virtually all his works merit attention.

He used to say that he would make "one film for Hollywood, and one for me", although he confesses that line has blurred of late.

See " The Devils backbone" too.

Patrick.

Comment

I saw the movie several times (good spanish practis), including twice in the cinema, and think it is pretty exelent; and not only the war stuff.
              The scenery, colors, esthetics, are art in themselfs; stuningly beautyfull.
              The war scenes are surprisingly brutal and well done.
              The caracters are realistic, the captain fascinating.

It is much better then most war movies without even being a war movie.
              I wish they would make a prequel called "El Capitan Vidal"

JL

Comment

I bought the DVD about 6 months ago & still haven't got round to watching it (along with many others).
                This has made a little more eager

Comment

falange uniforms

also intersting to see the blue uniforms of the Spanish fascists. I think this is the first time it has been shown in English.
                  Helps to "get" mythology.

A truly worthy movie.

I heard the director interviewd on the radio...he has an remarkable familiarity with European legends and mythology. Being from Mexico, he learned much more about the history of fascist Spain than, say, here in America where no one knows anything about either country.

Comment

Pan's Labyrinth

Hello,
                    I have also seen it and have let my 6 year old see a few carefully selected scenes. Very well done.

Jody

Comment

El Spectacular .Rob
                      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Now this is an excellent film... something Hollywood can learn from. But no one seems to have mentioned the "music"... the cinema was great but the music made the movie for me... it is the other 50%- 60%

Comment

Despite being rather sceptical of the film and not really wanting to watch it, fantasy subtitled films from Spain aren't really my 'thing', I was enthralled by this movie. It is a fantstic film, not only for the unusual Spanish historical aspect but the attention to detail and overall production. A definite addition to my DVD collection. Brilliant.

Comment

As others have said, Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent movie in every way. The acting, plot, directing, cinematography, and unique visual style are all top notch. The movie also has a very informative allegorical and literal perspective on the Fascism of the time, in Spain. The fascist political theme also shapes the movie in many important ways, telling a story that is as educational as it is captivating. I have the DVD in my movie collection and I've already watched it multiple times. I highly recommend it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                              Hello,
                              I have also seen it and have let my 6 year old see a few carefully selected scenes. Very well done.

Jody
                              Not the bottle scene or the Glasgow smile scene I assume?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X