Good reference books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good reference books

Could you honourable Madams and Sirs recommend me some very good reference books on uniforms.

Hi there, here are a few undoubtedly other forum members will add to the list.

GERMAN SOLDIERS OF WORLD WAR TWO published by Histoire and Collections. French publishers but the book is available in english. Recommended.

AFRIKAKORPS. Same publisher as above also in English

UNIFORMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE GERMAN ARMY 1939-45. A three volume series that covers in detail uniforms insignia and equipment up to Inf Div artillery Tanks etc. Highly recommended but I believe now out of print.

GERMAN ARMY UNIFORMS OF WORLD WAR TWO IN COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS by Wade Krawczyk. Excellent Reference from a private Collector. I believe he has also published a book on Panzer uniforms as well.

The Soldat Series by Cyrus Lee and others. Published by Pictoral Histories Publishing Missoula Montana. 7 volumes published to date the most recent being on the Fallschirmjager. Incldes Volume 11 on Repros.(The chronology of the volumes is also a mystery to me!)

Pictoral Guide Series by Bill Costley a US WW2 Veteran all items personally taken by him. Pics in B and W but quite excellent.
    Subjects covered Volume 1. Oberscharfuhrer 6 SS GebirgsDiv Nord. Volume 3.Obergefreiter Jager Battalion Light Infantry Division. Volume 4 Gefreiter 5th Para Div. All volumes examine the personal Dress Equipment and weapons of each soldier including personal items.

Finally Die Wehrmacht by Ryton Publications. Volume 1 which deals with weapons up to Platoon level including pouches etc. Good Colour Photos and period B and W.

Hope this helps, its only the tip of the iceberg no SS uniform books included but I can supply titles if required.

Cheers from the UK

Mark

Comment

Hi John,
      Concerning SS Uniform books I highly recommend:
      Wikberg, Olli, MIENE EHRE HEISST TREUE, UNIFORMS OF THE FINNISH SS VOLUNTEERS. Although it relates to Finnish volunteers it shows the typical Waffen-SS uniforms issued. Excellent book!
      Rene

Comment

Where did I get John, sorry I ment Mark!

Rene

Comment

Dal McGuirk's "Rommel's Army in Africa" is the best thing out on tropical uniforms and the LTC (Ret) John R. Angolia's series on uniforms are great references. I only collect Heer, but his "German Army Uniforms and Traditions" Vol 1-3 are good basic references.
          Any of Wade Krawczyck's books are excellent. Wade is a forum member and goes by 'Panzer'.
          I recommend any books you can find with a lot of photos -as they tell what one needs to know. You should also invest in any number of order of battle type books if you are going to collect uniforms, as knowing the history and organizations will greatly assist you.
          Lastly off the top of my head, Bob Edwards' "Field Uniforms of the Panzers" and "Field Uniforms of the Panzer Elite" are good as well...if collecting Panzer is your inerest.
          Oh yeah...and this forum.
          Scott
          CSP

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X