• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: Goodbye Transylvania

Title: Goodbye Transylvania
    Author: Sigmund Heinz Landau
    ISBN: 0 907969 13 5
    Publisher: Breedon Books Publishing Company Ltd.
    Stars: 4.5
    (out of 5)

Well, I have heard of this title for a few years and when a copy became avail. I just had to buy it. I was NOT disappointed.
    The book starts off with the author going back to Romania to see his parents and from there starts to remember his past. This incl. a brief history of how Transylvania came to be and how the various countries ruled the area.
    The chapters go into the author joining the Waffen SS and fighting for a good portion of the war in Russia and the Eastern Front with jaunts in Holland and Italy. There are some very good and graphic battle descriptions. This incl. only a couple of Russian atrocity descriptions, but it also incl the authors frank admission to killing some Russian POW's after seeing these atrocities.
    The last chapters cover the battle for Berlin (I felt I was there in the buildings, fighting) and the author being captured....his questioning and ultimate trek to captivity. The author then escapes and eventually makes his way to Austria and ultimately to Britain.
    The only questions to this book was the authors admission to being an undercover police informant and being sent all over the place....but I guess anything is possible in war time.
    I highly recommend this classic.

I read this book some years ago now and I remember thinking at the time that some of the 'undercover' exploits in his storey were a little hard to credit. In fact, I mentioned this to a Waffen-SS veteran living in the UK who said in his opinion certain portions of the book were fantasy. However, that said I really enjoyed the final battles in Berlin, which I agree were very descriptive indeed. For me overall though I will give it 3 out of 5.

Regards Richard.
    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

just read this myself and really enjoyed it ,though like the two other previous guys i had problems with the undercover exploits ! in places i found it a little dis-jointed ,but still a very worthwhile read

Comment

I read it over 20 years ago when it came out. Wasn't it somewhat short in length? I agree, the author seemed to embellish his exploits.

Did they ever re-publish the book?
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          I read it over 20 years ago when it came out. Wasn't it somewhat short in length? I agree, the author seemed to embellish his exploits.

Did they ever re-publish the book?
          i don t believe they have !

Comment

This book has been reprinted by Stackpole in trade paperback just recently. Just reading my copy...

Comment

I think "questionable" is an understatement. It's entertaining but as a history it is rather dubious.

Comment

At least enemy numbers are sometimes a "bit" fantastic...

Comment

And the "one of six" Himmler rings bit.....not to mention the whole encounter with Himmler.
                  It's still a fun read though.

Comment

Just read it, a good read.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X