Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmet reference book

All,

I made a search for reference books and there seems to be 2 choices available:

The 2 volume set by Branislav Radovic

OR

Ludwig Baer's book

From what I have read here, none are absolutely perfect but it seems Radovic's books contain quite a few fakes. So would the consensus be to go for the Baer book?

Does anyone know a good military bookshop in the UK, perferrable on-line? I did know of one but I no longer have the URL nor can I remember the name . Any suggections?

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Ludwig Baer's book is a reference book with few color photos and a LOAD of details. I'm not saying this is bad, in fact it is a good thing, but it isn't exactly light reading. I would say it is the moast definitive source for helmet collectors.

The 2 volume set by Branislav Radovic offers little information but provides big colorful pictures. The problem with these books is that there are some questionable helmets so you have to keep that in mind.

I'd say get Baer's book first. You can order it from Bender Publishing (www.bender-publishing.com). But I would also suggest having the other two books on hand in your collection as well.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, Peter.

I believe the are some books by K Hinks(?) on SS helmets. Are there worthwhile additions to my reference collection?

As for Radovics 2 volumes...are these due a re-print with the questionable pieces removed?

Rich
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

books

Kelly Hicks' books are good if you are interested in SS helmets. He is suppose to have a vol 3 coming out sometime too. He is also a nice guy.

I would be very interested in knowing which helmets in Radovics Vol 2 are thought of as fakes? Can someone tell me page numbers? Or PM me?

I agree with Peter. If you are looking for good information I would get Baer, If you want to see nice pictures I would get the Radovics volumes. I like both but refer to Baers much more.

Comment

Get the Baer book, especally since it's being reprinted again. It far outshines the others. Not perfect, but the best out there right now..
          The Radovic books were somewhat disappointing, if the fakes were left out you could easily get everything in on evolume. But it has high quality photo's and some originals in there.
          Kelly's books have some rare SS helmets in there that are original and some fakes as well...
          I don't know when his Vol. 3 is due out..
          Mike Beaver will be coming out with a SS helmet book this year as well, if it's like his other works this may become "the must have" SS helmet book..

Comment

Book seller.

Hello Richard,
            a seller i use often can be found here:
            http://www.landmarkmilitarybooks.com/
            Nice selection of books, if a tad on the heavy side price wise.
            Happy shopping!

Patrick.

Comment

Thanks all.

I have ordered the Baer book from the site provided. Actually they are cheaper than Amazon so I guess that's not bad. I'm sure I could find it cheaper if I searched enough and was patient... but you know how it is...

BTW Perry, has Mike Beaver had other publications? I searched in Amazon and couldn't find any.

Rich
              Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Rich,

you could also try www.worldofwarfare.co.uk
                Arthur is a nice bloke and attends lots of militaria fairs in the UK
                Kind regards,
                Andy

Comment

I'd agree with Andy on this one. For anyone in the UK, Arthur Thornton at World of Warfare is the best there is. Top bloke, one the nicest guys you could meet and with the best deals on prices and wont rip you off with huge shipping fees even on large heavy books.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X