Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Lorenzo photo would work well here

or here,

Because it rhymes with WEER, HEER, and Pabst (Blue Ribbon) SMEAR! Talk about an SS original! What a reference guide!

Comment

What has been said here is all good advice. But don't hold your breath waiting for the perfect reference book. I haven't come across one yet that doesn't have a mistake in it, but in my experience even the worst of them will have a few snippets of new info/photos. I have around 800 in my library and still adding and I don't begrudge one penny of what I have spent on them.

It will be clear from reading the posts in the Wehrmacht Forum who the good dealers are (Detlev, Jamie Cross etc). Keep to the good guys with a proven track record of being absilutelt willing to put right any mistakes ( because even the best dealers make them) without hassle, and you won't go far wrong.

I now do 99% of my buying from just two dealers in the UK and two in Germany and still sepnd a sizeable portion of my collecting budget on books.

Oh, and just a nit picking point. HEER doesn't rhyme with BEER or SMEAR. A double EE like this in German sounds like an A, as in HARE or BEAR.

Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon:
        your right about "proven dealers"
        after getting Burned on E-Pier.
        and lurking around here for a bit, Detlev, Bill shea, Galian, Kai. seem like Stand up guys to me. I wasnt looking for the Holy grail of referance books,, just a good sign Post. I found what I was looking for
        Many thanks to all! I need all the guidance I can get
        ~Buddy~

Comment

Ooops, sorry Gordon,

Lorenzo, change photos from beer and smear to

Bare the Hair......What a reference that was!
          Alot to be learned and enjoyed here at the forum.

Comment

Buddy:
            Must agree with Gordon. You will not find a "best" reference book on any Third reich subject because there are no complete references. All those mentioned are solid references - and Gordon has written/co authored a few of his own on medals and insignia, etc.

I find that several references are needed to begin to establish a base of knowledge in any particular area. Almost regardless of what that may be. A beginning collector today should strive to focus narrowly and seek out every reference in that particular focus that seems wothwhile. History books, unit histories, order of battle books, picture/coffee table books, photo archives and any book with lots of war time photos all contribute to learning and knowing what you are persuing. Even colectors that have been around a while tend or are tending toeard specialization in just a few areas.
            Not meaning to sound critical, but my observation of your email indicates our initial collecting has been all over the map : badgesm, SS insignia, cufftitles, etc. Bettter these days to be an inch wide and a mile deep rather than the other way around.
            My other comment on your note is, if you have already purchased items and are now asking for reference material, you made the same mistake we all did. Spend a while investing in research, buy books, get smart, talk to other collectors and THEN decise to purchase. In fact, doing all this will naturally lead you to some good sources for what you seek. Above all, be patient. As a long time collector, I would rather see a collection small in quantity and high in quality than one with a lot of 'stuff'.
            Scott
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Hi Scott:
              your on the money,, I had to stop on a dime & re-evaluate what I wanted& where to start
              compulsive?? can any one relate<G> This is why I posted this thread. I need To see whats out there & Start some where. Problem is,, every thing I see I so damn neat!!
              so after buying a few scattered item, which I dont regret. I need to focus on education & the nuances(sp) of collecting.
              As of now,, Im concetrating on 1 item as opposed to lusting after many( hard to do)
              By the way critizism is cool, cause it helps & it Hurts less that a punch in the face
              And to think this all started because I collect Knives & thought a couple of WW2 German Daggers would be cool addition
              then I saw what was out there & Ive yet to add 1 dagger, which is all I wanted in the beginning
              Best Regards
              ~Buddy~

Comment

If you're looking for execellent reference books on Nazi daggers I can recommend some:

"Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich" Vol.I-VIII by Ltc. Tom Johnson

"Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Army" by Tom Wittmann

"Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Navy" by Tom Wittmann

"Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Luftwaffe" by Tom Wittmann

"Exploring the Dress Daggers of the SS" by Tom Wittmann *Due: Max 2002

If you're into miniature daggers, the following book is a nice addition:

"Me fecit Solingen" [Solingen Made Me] by Skipper Greenwade

In case you're also into swords:

"Swords of Germany 1900/45" by John Angolia

Hope this helps!

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: sdesember ]

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: sdesember ]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X