m35 helmet in history of german steel helmet book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m35 helmet in history of german steel helmet book

i have an opportunity to purchase what is described as a Norwegian home guard double decal m35 helmet with german liner and chinstrap,the liner being stitched in.A reference to this helmet is given in Ludwig Baur's book 'The History Of The German Steel Helmet 1916-1945' on page369.Would someone who has this book be so kind as to let me know what is said about this helmet(as much info as possible please!).oh, nearly forgot the helmet is a beige colour.Thanking you all in anticipation,yorkie

You may want to go to german-helmets.com, I have emailed Mr. Bell in the past and found him to be very helpful.

Comment

Sir,
      Ludwig Baer's book has this to say: "The German helmets used by the Norwegian Army were left behind by the departing German troops after the capitulation on 8 May 1945. These helmets were repainted and redecalled and were then given to the Norwegian Air Force and Home Guard units."

If you haven't already seen a scan of the page showing these helmets, e-mail me and I'll scan it for you.

Unfortunately, many of these helmets in recent years were sold as surplus, repainted and redecaled with repro WWII German decals and have been sold on the collector market as originals. The Norwegians put new leather into the original German liner bands using brass round headed brads instead of the aluminum ones used by the Germans and the new leather liners are a reddish Cordovan color -- easy to spot.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X