Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best SS Uniform book

Hello,

I'm looking for a really good SS uniform book. Would really like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff

I like " Cloth Insignia of the SS" by
    John R. Angolia, and for good color photos
    "SS Uniforms, Insignia And Accoutrements"
    by A. Hayes. There is also the Bender and
    Taylor volumes of "Uniforms, Organizations and History of the Waffen SS" and "The Waffen
    SS Its Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment
    1938-1945" by Forsten & Marrion.
    A lot of these books are out of print though.
    Charles
    Charles

Comment

Hello Jeff,

I can recommend the following books as the best on the subject for authentic uniforms and good all colour Photos:

Uniforms of the SS 1938-45 by Yoshihiro Terui
      & BSK. Published by DAINIPPON-KAIGA may be out of print. For Camo, Beaver and Borsarellos book on Camoflage uniforms of the Waffen SS by Schiffer(I think) is also excellent.

Hope this helps

Mark

Comment

Uniforms of the SS Vol 1-7, Andrew Mollo

Comment

Hello Jeff,
          Just to add to my previous reply If you are planning to collect I strongly recommend seeing as many period photographs of Uniforms actually in wear. If you can Locate any of the Im Bild series fromm the SS divisional histories I highly recommend them. Originally published in the 70s and 80s by Munin Verlag they have recently been reprinted not sure of the Publisher. Titles

Liebstandarte Im Bild by R Lehmann
          Das Reich Im Bild by Otto Weidinger
          Panzer Grenadiere der panzer division Wiking Im Bild

Also by US authors and quite excellent Soldiers of the Waffen SS by Mark Rikmenspoel, published by JJ Fedorowicz
          Images of the Waffen SS by Mark Yerger published by Schiffer Books.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your replies. Mark, that's an excellent suggestion for period photographs. My only book that has some period photographs is by Robin Lumsden Waffen SS collector's guide. Not bad, but still need alot more. Would really like to hear what you guys collect for SS tunics.

Thanks,

Jeff

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: germancollector ]

Comment

Hello Jeff,

SS tunics are hard to come by in their original state.B that I mean many army M36/40 tunics,widely worn by the Waffen ss, are changed into SS versions by the simple expedient of removing the army Insignia and replacing it with SS. I was victim of this trick when I started out and it cost me dear! I only have one very salty M40 tunic that is definitely original wartime SS. The M42 sometimes Known as the SS BW tunic is very desirable as the 5 button configuration and 2 belt hook holes are unique to the Waffen SS. I have seen a few for sale but was never happy with any of them,normally all offered by dealers are in mint condition.
              With the growth of re-enacting very good copies exist to satisfy this market. My advice is buy the books, seek advice through the Forum before committing any big money on a uniform.

Cheers Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X