X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Review - O'Connor - vol 7

Formal Review

Neal O’Connor’s

Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany in World War I and the Men Who Earned Them

The Aviation Awards of Eight German States and Three Free Cities

Schiffer Publishing, 2002

514 pages organized into 28 chapters and 65 appendices including 43 biographies.

This book is, in my opinion, our departed brother’s finest. The breath and depth of information in this volume is breathtaking to the point of overpowering. This book will refuse to sit quietly on the bookshelf. You will doubtless find frequent and repeated reference to the history, data and Ehrenzeichen information it contains. This book appeals to World War I aviation enthusiasts however; it also provides significant insights into the arcane topic of the history of the sovereign states addressed in context with the German Empire. For me, the single greatest strength of this book is the clear understanding of the Orders and Decorations of these states imparted to the reader.

To those unfamiliar with volumes 1 to 6, my sympathy! To we few, we happy few, this volume follows Neal’s established organization. States are arranges alphabetically, orders and decorations by order of precedence. This tour d force begins with the Duchy of Brunswick and proceeds to outline significant political and military events in the history of this state as well as an overview of the orders and decorations bestowed by its sovereign. As Neal’s focus was awards to warriors, he provides a brief discourse on the higher orders or grades and delves into the awards won at the tip of the sword, in this case – flight personnel. He establishes prestige and context through the use of statistics obtained, often, through the author’s personal research in various state archives in Germany. The book continues with the Grand Duchy of Hesse, the Principalities of Hohenzollern, Lippe, Schaumburg-Lippe, the Grand Duchies of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Strelitz (my one source of irritation is that in typical Schiffer fashion, they botched the title of the chapter on the Cross for Distinction in War as Mecklenburg-Schwerin), the Principality of Waldeck followed by the free and hanse cities of Bremen, Hamburg and Lubeck.

The book is punctuated with outstanding black and white photographs of sovereigns, nobility, high military officials and of course aviators. Photographs illustrate the various awards and methods of wear. Neal again includes a chapter of “Famous Chests” illustrating the medal bars of famous aviators highlighted in the volume.

In keeping with the author’s intellectual honesty, he includes a chapter of errata updating or correcting earlier volumes.

Neal concludes this volume with appendix upon appendix of bestowal data and an essential bibliography and glossary of terms.

As a specific note, I found most interesting the information provided about the two orders of the Grand Duchies of Mecklenburg. Neal points out the eccentricity of the late Dr. Klietmann who includes the Order of the Wendian Crown and excludes the Griffin Order from his book “Pour le Merite und Tapferkeitsmedaille”, when the Wendian Crown was not apparently used during the First World War as a reward for military accomplishment and the Griffin order was.

I heartily recommend this book as a valued addition to the library of all who find interest in Imperial Orders and Decorations.

I just got my copy today:

It must weigh six pounds!!! This is NOT a book to fall asleep staying up late reading Just One More Chapter or you could do yourself a real injury!!

So much detail.... so many states... impossible to even attempt to describe it all.

You may need to build a new wing on your house for this one-- it is bigger than the earlier volumes that Neal published himself and like THREE of the Baden/Oldenburg previous volume for sheer heft.

Superb!

Comment

I picked up my copy at the Meadowlands Show last Saturday and am in the midst of poring through it. Now all I need is to find that out of print Bavarian volume.

Dave

Comment

o'Connor books

I've been trying to find a copy of the Bavarian volume as well, without success!
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

mir au'

I too have been seeking the Bavarian volume-for 2 years!
          Neal wrote to me before he died that he planned to reissue the Bavarian volume with more information and including the errattas in the later volumes. he had also located more than 100 additional photos for the book-but now its all gone.
          Most tantalizing is his references to the Hansa crosses rolls that he found intact in a flak tower-meaning that if some brave and enterprising German researcher had the time, he could publish a roll of the medal recipients! Rick says he said they were all still sitting in the crate!
          Alas, Autengruber, despite my begging, has no plans to publish these.
          Cheers,
          JeMc
          Nice review Herr McSwiggen! Are you coming to Lowell tomorrow?
          Last edited by McCulloh; 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Vultures Circling Overhead

Waiting for my Volume 1!!!!

But, got to let all you guys down: the Bavarian volume is NOTHING like the later ones: that was Neal's "practice" volume (which is why he wanted to redo it)... not anywhere near as detailed as all the later volumes.

Don't lose sleep over not having it. It has great pix, but not the sort of award numbers etc etc in the later volumes, nor lists of recipients.

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Glad you liked it! Really doesn't do justice to this excellent book though.

As for Rick - what kind of collector wouldn't go nuts having six sevenths of anything? Arghhh!

Perhaps the kind folk at Schiffer will consider reprinting volume I.

In a perverse way, I find it comforting to hear of so many others in the same pickle! If only I'd purchased volume I when I had the chance! To Rick's point - if I had purchased it first, I might not have gone after the others and that would have been a great loss.

I've had a copy - two actually, in my hands - one from the Library of Congress through interlibrary loan and the other was Rick's.

I'm currently sharpening my ninga skills for a raid on Schloss Lundstrom to liberate that volume...

Comment

PS

Can't go out to play tomorrow - doing taxes and that clearly negates any reason for going to Lowell - no money!

Comment

Sorry not to see thee

...at Lowell on the 'morrow herr McSwiggen; it's sure to be a great, albeit snowy and cold show.
                  I presently also have vol.1 -which I borrowed from the OMSA library and have been taking notes from it. I too want it to "complete the set". I think a great tribute book would be to rewrite it under Neal's name. There's a lot more information out there, especially about Bavarians and we could do great photos now.
                  Another great reason to join OMSA-use of the library!
                  Lastly, you should cut and paste you review onto Amazon!
                  Maybe in May @ Lowell....
                  JeMc.

Comment

Splendid Idea

I love it! We'd all be happy to have it and I'm sure the League of Two Rickies - Word Ricky and Photo Ricky could do a stand up job of it...

Actually, an upgrade would be far superior to a reprint - I vote yea!

As to tomorrow - if the truth be known - in the wake of last February's war stories - I'm simply afraid to go!!!

Does Amazon take reviews of books from people who didn't get the book from them? Got mine directly from Schiffer.

Comment

Yes, Amazon does.

Comment

Well, they say a prophet is never recognized in his own country, nor a great artist in his own time. Volume One-Bavarian Medals-which Neal had lamented to Rick Lundstrom was a very slow seller and had gathered too much dust and cost too much, is now an official collectors' item. Originally it sold for $25-I have the sale pamphlet which Mr. OC'Conner sent me in 1996. Today, one was listed as sold for $165 at the Floyd, Johnson and Payne aucton site. If I'd bought 10 of them I'd have made a better market return than if I'd bought Exxon or even AOL stock.
                        Kind of makes you wonder if perhaps one should stockpile volume 7s while the getting is still good.

Comment

Neal's volume I continues bring strong interest. There were several bidders clumped fairly close to the hammer price, so the money seems to be following the interest. I can sell as many volume I's as I can get.

Volume II hasn't reached those heights, but is still a strong seller. The others are still available in the market, so their long-term appreciation is probable, but not at the scale of volume I. Since Schiffer keeps its books in print forever, there's no need to stock up there.

Comment

Oh? Perhaps, perhaps.... but I note that a Ball and Peters volume of "Military Decorations"...etc. went for $150 last Summer on ebay.
                            Once its out of print -the cost soars. Even ist edition Angolias' F&F are now topping $100-and they are loaded with errors.
                            Still, I wish Neal had lived to see it. He wrote me several years ago before he was ill and told me he had outlined a revision of the Bavarian volume complete with corrections and a lot more information he'd gleaned from the archives. I wonder what happened to his notes?

Comment

Why anyone would pay a premium for the Ball and Peters book is beyond me, but I'm always happy to have such buyers bid in my sales.

Schiffer's contract with its authors says it will keep its books in print, so there should always be a supply at retail prices.

Bender, on the other hand, takes his books out of print. That raises the price in the secondary market and calls attention to the title. If there is sufficient interest, the book is reprinted/updated and the cycle starts again. "Call of Duty", Bender's book on American medals, is now out of print and selling quite well in the secondary market. A new edition (perhaps with far better text) is in work and should be in the market in the next year.

Neal's books will retain value because there will be no updates by the original author. As folks buy the later volumes and see the quality of the work, they will chase the earlier volumes to complete the set (being good anal-retentive collectors). So, volumes 1 and 2 will continue at strong prices for the foreseeable future. If volume 7 stays available as Schiffer promises, that should only support the values of the more limited earlier volumes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X