1777,Year of the Hangman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1777,Year of the Hangman

Anyone read 1777,The Year of the Hangman?
    A great read about the little known war of extermination going on between Loyalists,Rebels,Indians,and those poor souls trying to get out of the way in frontier Pennsylvania and Western New York.
    An incredibly brutal account.
    Ihey don't teach THIS in American History classes!

Thanks for the tip, i've been wanting to learn more about the revolutionary war.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Keep in mind that this book is about the "backwater" events on the Northern Frontier.It was only affecting those people living in the cold dangerous woods of Western Pennsylvania & New York.Scalpings,families burned alive by Indians,Butler's Rangers launching sudden surprise attacks against the rebel settlements-not an account of the much better known events at Saratoga,etc.
      I was especially interested in Butler's Loyalist Rangers...

Comment

Hmmm

I will have to get this book, Butlers Homestead was just located last year about five minutes from my house while excavateing for a subdivision.

Aswell The butlers Family Cematary Crypt will be opened by a friend of mine in spring, he works for parks canada, and he said I can come with him.

Fascinating history, especially for me since, a good portion happend here in my town.

Dan

Comment

Book

I just purchassed this from ebay, Is this story Fiction or non fiction?

Im a little confused after reading the sellers description.

Im hopeing its Non by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Plomish
            I just purchassed this from ebay, Is this story Fiction or non fiction?
            I am not sure which one you guys are talking about, there are several books with a similar title. If you mean Glenn Williams' "Year of the Hangman", thats non-fiction (and a really good book, BTW). If you mean Blackwood's book by the same name, thats fiction (also a good read, even though it was published as a "juvenile" book)

Comment

Dammit!!!

I bought Blackwoods by mistake, Damn!!!

Any one have an isbn Number?

Comment

The full title of Williams' book is "The Year of the Hangman: George Washington's Campaign Against the Iroquois". Now that I think about it, Von Canon could also have been talking about John Pancake's "1777, The Year of the Hangman". Look them up on Amazon, they have ISBN numbers listed.

I have not read Pancake's book, but I have Williams' and do recommend it.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Vadim, I figured it all out, the seller has both so hopefully he will swap it, thanks guys.

Comment

Sorry about the confusion.My copy(just purchased a few weeks ago)is on loan to a friend in another state and I could'nt recall the author.Think Vadim cleared up the confusion though.Thanks.
                    I recently bought a dug coat button from Butlers Rangers(I collect Revolutionary War buttons)but most of my old collection still resides in the Don Troiani collection.
                    You are very lucky to be invited to the Butler excavation;I envy that...
                    Butler was a very strange man;had guts,tactical brilliance,totally loyal to his monarch-but handing over (brave) prisoners to the Indians for burning alive!!!A strange mix in a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Plomish
                      I will have to get this book, Butlers Homestead was just located last year about five minutes from my house while excavateing for a subdivision.

Aswell The butlers Family Cematary Crypt will be opened by a friend of mine in spring, he works for parks canada, and he said I can come with him.

Fascinating history, especially for me since, a good portion happend here in my town.

Dan
                      Dan;Please take lots of pictures and let us see them.
                      My Butler's Rangers coat button was found at Niagara on the Lake,near your home...

Comment

Pictures

I will, As soon as the weather lightens up, ill get out there and take some photos for you, My friend from parks canada can let me into some interesting places not normally acceptable.

How did you come across your button, A gentleman i know, uncovered 8 of them from the butlers homestead, after the government archeoligist's left and I know he sold them on ebay.

Across from my office is the Old millitary training grounds used from the boer war thru to korea, on this site "no one know's where" but there lay 80+ american soldiers who died on the initial invasion of niagara on the lake, then known as Newark, When they left they burned are town to the ground, many of the homes were rebuilt useing the scorched brick and charred timbers which you can see today inside many basements and crawl spaces.

Dan

Comment

I don't know who exactly dug the Butlers Ranger button;only where found.
                          I actually purchased it from a reliable dealer at a Civil War show,along with a Queens Ranger button.
                          Don Troiani(I understand)has sold some of his extensive collections and have they been showing up for sale.And an incredible cache of buttons was found in Savannah,Ga., last year from a major British encampment.
                          The good old days of collecting are long gone though.One time a good button of the era went for pocket change;no more.And Butlers Rangers buttons are among the rarest.
                          In my home state(South Carolina) there are many ruins from the Revolutionary War(burned by the British,if not by Sherman.)
                          Please keep us posted on your doings...
                          Thanks.
                          J.v.C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X