Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book list for our hobby : Part 6 Weaponry

Hello

Here is the list devoted to books covering Weaponry. My list is far from being exhaustive in that specific matter. I have for the moment lay empahsis on the edged weapons but a great job needs to be done for the Fire Weapons (not my field at all)
    Please note that books are sorted by alphabetical order based on the author's name. Should a book be coauthored, the first alphabetical first name is taken into account.

Enjoy !
    Regards
    Denis

VI-1 Edged Weapons
    - Angolia, John R. : Swords of Germany 1900-1945
    - Atwood, J.P. : The daggers & Edged weapons of Hitler's Germany
    - Bowmann, J.A. : Third Reich daggers 1933-1945
    - Glemser, Kurt : A Guide to Military Dress Daggers, Volumes I - IV
    - Fisher, R. : NS dagger maker trademarks, Fisher quick reference
    - Johnson, Thomas : collecting the edged weapons of the Third Reich (8 volumes + an index one)
    - Leslie, D.; Raidl, Richard : a reference on daggers & dress bayonets
    - Lubbe, Klaus : Deutsche Seitengewehre und Bajonette 1740-1945 (German sidearms & bayonets 1740-1945)
    - Stephens Frederick J. : Reproduction, Recognition
    - Stephens Frederick J. : Daggers, swords and bayonets of the Third Reich
    - Techet, Wayne H. : German Etched Dress Bayonets
    - Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : German Clamshells and other Bayonets
    - Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : NPEA Daggers and Associated Knives
    - Weehler, George T. : Seitengewehr : History of The German Bayonet 1919-1945
    - Wittmann, Thomas : exploring the dress daggers of the German army volume 1
    - Wittmann, Thomas : exploring the dress daggers of the German Luftwaffe volume 2
    - Wittmann, Thomas : exploring the dress daggers of the German navy volume 3

VI-2 Firearms
    - Ball, Robert W.D. : Mauser military rifles of the World
    - Breathed Jr, John; Schroeder Jr, Joseph : System Mauser
    - Cate, Jim : J. P. Sauer & Sohn (2 volumes)
    - Datig, Fred A. : The Luger pistol
    - Gangarosa Jr, Gene : P-38 automatic pistol - The first 50 Years
    - Hogg Ian V.; Weeks John S. : Military small arms of the Twentieth Century (7th Ed.)
    - Kenyon Jr, Charles : Lugers at random
    - Kenyon Jr, Charles : Lugers, the multi-national pistol
    - Law, Richard D. : Backbone of the Wehrmacht (covers the K98k ?) 2 volumes
    - Law, Richard D. : Sniper variations of the German K98k rifle
    - Reese, Michael : Luger tips
    - Speed, John : Mauser smallbores - Target, sporting & training rifles
    - Still Jan C. : Axis Rifles
    - Still Jan C. : Axis Pistols
    - Still Jan C. : Imperial Lugers
    - Still Jan C. : Weimar Lugers
    - Still Jan C. : Third Reich Lugers
    - Wittington, Bob: German pistols & holsters 1934-1945 (3 volumes ?)
    Last edited by Denis; 01-22-2003, 07:53 AM.

EDGED WEAPONS:

- Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : German Clamshells and other Bayonets.

- Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : NPEA Daggers and Associated Knives

- Glemser, Kurt : A Guide to Military Dress Daggers, Volumes I - IV

- Techet, Wayne H. : German Etched Dress Bayonets
    Last edited by Mark Schroeder; 12-22-2002, 01:07 PM.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

EDGED WEAPONS:
      LUBBE KLAUS- DEUTSCHE SEITENGEWEHRE UND BAJONETTE 1740-1945(GERMAN SIDEARMS AND BAYONETS 1740-1945)

STEPHENS FREDERICK,J -DAGGERS,SWORDS AND BAYONETS OF THE THIRD REICH

PISTOLS/RIFLES/MACHINEGUNS ETC:
      HOGG IAN V, AND WEEKS JOHN S,- MILITARY SMALL ARMS OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY,7TH EDITION.

Hope these are of some use,
      Kind regards,
      Andy

Comment

Hi
        The list was updated
        Thanks to Mark and Andy for their additions

Comment

Hi Denis,
          May I please add this volume for small arms:

Jan C. Still - copyright 1986, "Axis Pistols" Vol. 2

Thanks,
          Dick

Comment

Hi Dick
            the addition was made to the list.
            Would you know how many volumes exist ? If so what is covered by each volume ?
            See you soon
            Denis

Comment

Hi Friend Denis,
              Hope all is well. There are two volumes in this series. Volume 1 is "AXIS RIFLES" by the same author. Sorry I neglected to include it. I don't have that book as yet and didn't even think about it when I wrote you.
              See You,
              Dick

Comment

THE TWO (2) VOLUMES OF STEPHENS'S "REPRODUCTION? RECOGNITION!" COULD BE ADDED.
                I HAVE A FAVORITE ONE ITS REAL EARLY WORK 1959 BUT IS STILL A GOOD BOOK, HOWEVER BASIC, IT IS IT GETS THE JOB DONE... ITS "A REFERENCE ON DAGGERS AND DRESS BAYONETS" BY RICHARD RAIDL AND D. LESLIE

Comment

Gentlemen,
                  I would like to add:
                  Lt. Col. J.P. Atwood, "THE DAGGERS AND EDGED WEAPONS OF HITLER'S GERMANY", published in 1965.
                  Thanks,
                  Dick

Comment

Here is another for lists of pistols:
                    Charles Kenyon, Jr.,"LUGERS AT RANDOM".
                    Thanks,
                    Dick

Comment

Great Idea guys!

I would like to include the following books for the firearms collector. Most of these books I consider to be "must have" items!

1."Axis Pistols" Vol. I and II, by Jan Still.

2. "German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945" Volumes II and III, by Bob Wittington.

3. "System Mauser" by John Breathed Jr. and Joseph Schroeder Jr.

4. "Lugers at Random" by Charles Kenyon Jr.

5. "J. P. Sauer & Sohn" volumes I and II, by Jim Cate.

6. "Luger Tips" by Michael Reese

7. "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" volumes I and II by Richard D. Law.

That is about all I can think of for right now. I I come up with any more I'll post them here.

Matt

Comment

Weapon books

The following books are very informative on German firearms.
                        Imperial Lugers
                        By Jan Still
                        Weimar Lugers
                        by Jan Still
                        Third Reich Lugers
                        by Jan Still
                        Lugers The Multi-national Pistol
                        by Charles Kenyon, Jr
                        P-38 Automatic Pistol - The First 50 Years
                        by Gene Gangarosa, Jr
                        Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle
                        Richard D. Law
                        Mauser Smallbores - Target, Sporting & Training Rifles
                        by John Speed
                        Mauser Military Rifles of the World
                        by Robert W.D. Ball
                        The Luger Pistol
                        by Fred A. Datig

Comment

Hi
                          List was accordingly updated with Members's new titles
                          Sorry for the delay and thanks to Bret, Dick, Matt and GerColctor
                          Regards
                          Denis

Comment

Plese add the following to you list for firearms

Whittington III, Robert D. German Pistols and Holsters, 1934-45
                            Volume IV please note the correct spelling of his last name

Kenyon Jr. Charles. Luger: The Multi-National Pistol. 1991

Chinn, George M. The Machine Gun. Vols. 1-5. 1951-1987 Info on German Weapons is scattered throughout the various volumes.

Buxton, Warren H. The P. 38 Pistol. Vols. 1-3

Rankin, James L. Walther. Vols. 1-3

Hatcher, Julian S. Hatcher's Notebook.

Smith, Joseph. Small Arms of the World. Various editions

Pender III, Roy G. Mauser Pocket Pistols, 1910-1946. 1971

Erickson and Pate. The Broomhandle Pistol, 1896-1936. 1985

Bender, Eugene J. Luger Holsters and Accessories of the 20th Century. 1992

Walter, John. The Luger Book. 1986

Martens and deVries. The Dutch Luger, A Complete History. 1994

Gibson, Randall. The Krieghoff Parabellum. 1980

Cormack, A.J.R. German Small Arms. 1979

Cormack, A.J.R., ed. Famous Pistols and Hand Guns. 1977. Has profiles of several of the more famous German pistols.

Fischer, Karl. Waffen- und Schiesstechnischer Leitfaden. (nur fuer ddie Ordnugspolizei). 1944. This is the ne plus ultra of Nazi publications on firearms and their use in the German Police. Hard to find but worth the effort and the money.

Meadows, Edward Scott. US Military Automatic Pistols, 1894-1920. Vol. 1. 1992. Has super pictures of the fabled .45ACP Luger.

Bruce, Robert. German Automatic Weapons of World War II. 1996

Wilson, R. K. Textbook of Automatic Pistols. 1943 On of the early classics on the subject. A Samworth Publication.

Hatcher, Jury, and Weller. Firearms Investigation Identification and Evidence. 1957

Reichenbach, William. Automatic Pistol Marksmanship. 1937. A Samworth Publication. Reichenbach's affection for the Luger pours out of this interesting little volume. Reichenbach's personal Luger is pictured in Harry Jones work on the Luger.

Jones, E. Harry. Luger Variations. Volume one. 1959, 1975.

Hatcher, Julian S. Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers. 1935.

Hatcher, Julian S. Textbook of Firearms Investigation Indentification and Evidence. 1942

Wacker, Albrecht. Das System Adalbert, Der K98k. 1993 In German,

Dunlap, Roy F. Ordnance Went up Front. 1948. Another Samworth Publication. First Editions VERY hard to find. Again, worth the effort.

Wacker, Albrecht. Im Auge des Jaegers. The Wehrmachts-Scharfschuetze. 2001 In German.

Reibert, publisher. Der Dienst-Unterricht im Heer. Gewehr-und L.M.G. Schuetzen. 1937-1942 In German, the basic training manual for the Landser.

Roever, Dr. A. Das Pistolenschiessen. 1908. Basic shooting manual of the time. Interesting period photos.

Johnson and Haven. Automatic Arms. 1941 Survey chapters include German automatic weapons.

I shall continue to go through my collection of firearms literature looking for more goodies to include. I would add that I note in my collection of the American Rifleman magazine that there are articles periodically showing up from the 1920s through 1970s that would be of interest to the German weapons aficionado.

Comment

Here.....

......is one I didn't see on the list:

Markham, George

GUNS of the REICH subtitled: Firearms of the German Forces, 1939-1945.

First published in Great Britain by
                              Arms and Armour Press,
                              Artillery House, Artillery Row, London SW1P 1RT.

ISBN 0-85368-965-2

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X