Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book list for our hobby : Part 1 Medals & Awards

Hello

Here is the list devoted to books covering Medals and Awards.
    Please note that books are sorted by alphabetical order based on the author's name. Should a book be coauthored, the first alphabetical first name is taken into account.

Enjoy !
    Regards
    Denis

I-1 General books
    - Ailsby, Chris : World War 2 german medals & political awards
    - Ailsby, Chris : Combat medals of the Third Reich
    - Angolia, John R. : For Führer and Fatherland, Military Awards of the Third Reich, volume 1
    - Angolia, John R. : For Führer and Fatherland, Political & Civil Awards of the Third Reich, volume 2
    - Cowdery, Ray : Nazi Para- Miliatry Orginizations and their badges
    - Dodkins, C.M. & Littlejohn, David : Orders, decorations, medals & badges of the Third Reich volume 1
    - Dodkins, C.M. & Littlejohn, David : Orders, decorations, medals & badges of the Third Reich volume 2
    - Doehle, Heinrich : Die Auszeichnungen des Grossdeutschen Reiches (edition range from 1939 to 1943, this latter one in colour) IN GERMAN
    - Doehle, Heinrich : Medals & Decorations of the Third Reich (reprint in english of the colour 1943 edition)
    - Doehle, Heinrich (published by K. Patzwall) : Die Auszeichnungen des Grossdeutschen Reiches (this ia reprint made from the never published 1945 edition which was recently discovered and acquired by Patzwall) IN GERMAN
    - Dombrowski, Hanns : Orden Ehrenzeichen und Titel des Nationasozialistichen Deutschlands (reprint by K. Patzwall of a 1940 book which provides offcial texts and decrees about medals) IN GERMAN
    - Forman, Adrian : Forman's guide to Third Reich german awards 1st edition
    - Forman, Adrian : Forman's guide to Third Reich german awards 2nd edition
    - Forman, Adrian : Forman's guide to Third Reich german awards 3rd edition
    - INFO : Die Kampfabzeichen des Heeres 1939-1945 (sonderheft/ special issue) IN GERMAN
    - Kahl R. : Insignia, decorations & badges of the Third Reich & occupied countries (drawings pf all insignia but interesting though)
    - Klietmann, Kurt Gerhard : Auszeichnungen des 1936-1945 Deutschen Reiches IN GERMAN
    - Klietmann, Kurt Gerhard : Pour le Mérite u. Tapferkeitsmedaille IN GERMAN
    - Klietmann, Kurt Gerhard : Deutsche Auszeichnungen volume 1 IN GERMAN
    - Klietmann, Kurt Gerhard : Deutsche Auszeichnungen volume 2 IN GERMAN
    - Lumdsen, Robin : Detecting the fakes
    - Lumdsen, Robin : Third Reich militaria
    - Lumdsen, Robin : Medals and Decorations of Hitlers Germany
    - McCarthy, Robert : World War II German Military Collectibles - Identification and Values
    - McCarthy, Robert : Collector's Guides (3 volumes)
    - Mandry Horst : Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Dritten Reiches (4 volumes, the 4th dealing with Military awards and including a price list) IN GERMAN but mainly photos from obv. & rev.
    - Niemann, Detlev : Bewertungs Katalog, Orden und Ehrenzeichen Deutschland 1871-1945 IN GERMAN
    - Previtera, Stephen & Tucker, Michael : German Combat Badges of the Third Reich volume 1 (covers WH & KM badges)
    - Rosignoli, Guido : Badges & insignia of WWII - Air Force - Naval - Marine (no photographs but excellent colorized illustrations)
    - Tucker, Michael : Collecting military badges of the Third Reich
    - ? : Orden & Ehrenzeichen Sammeldruck aller geltenden Bestimmungen, Neudruck vom 1. Juli 1943. Merkblatt 15/5
    IN GERMAN
    - ? : Decorazioni al valore ed al merito delle forze armata germaniche 1933-45 (big book on all German decorations) IN ITALIAN

I-2 Specific Badge (except the Iron Cross)
    - Bender, Roger James & Breyette, Thomas : Tank Killers (details the German Tank Destruction Badge)
    - Hamelman, William : German wound badges 1914-1936-1939-1944-1957
    - Huff, Russell : Wings of World War II (deals with LW badges)
    - Kraft, H.D. : Deutsche Luftfahrtabzeichen (several volumes ?) IN GERMAN
    - Manions : Collector's Guide No.1 Tinnies of the Third Reich
    - Manions : Collector's Guide No.2 Tinnies of the Third Reich
    - Manions : Collector's Guide No.3 Tinnies of the Third Reich
    - Manions : Collector's Guide No.4 Tinnies of the Third Reich
    - Michaelis, Rolf : Die Sturmabzeichen des Heeres (booklet) IN GERMAN
    - Michaelis, Rolf : Die Verwundetenabzeichen (booklet) IN GERMAN
    - Michaelis, Rolf : Das Bandenkampfabzeichen (booklet) IN GERMAN
    - Michaelis, Rolf : Die Nahkampfspange des Heeres (booklet) IN GERMAN
    - Patzwall, Klaus D. : Die Auszeichnungen der Kriegsmarine (comprehensive study about the KM badges) IN GERMAN

I-3 The Iron Cross
    - Bowen, Vern E. : The Prussian & German Iron Cross
    - Deutsches Ordensmuseum Ludenscheid : Das Eiserne Kreuz 1813-1939 (Volume 3)
    - Geissler, Harald : Das Eiserne Kreuz 1813 bis heute IN GERMAN
    - Previtera, Stephen : The Iron Time
    - Prowse, A.E. : The Iron Cross of Prussia and Germany
    - Williamson, Gordon : The Iron Cross, a history 1813-1957
    - Williamson, Gordon : The Iron Cross of 1939

- Walter, John : German Military Letter Codes : The manufacturers' marks of the Third Reich (don't know if this is strictly related to medals or include all manufactured marks as those from the Waffen amt)
    Last edited by Denis; 01-16-2003, 07:53 AM.

Can anyone provide the name of the Patzwell books that are in German?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Patzwall

Check out his site:

http://www.patzwall.de/index_de.shtml

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

Hello,

here are two books dealing with para- military badges that I have found to he helpful;

1. Nazi Para- Miliatry Orginizations and thier badges; Ray Cowdery

2. Collector's Guide No.3 Tinnies of the Third Reich; Manions ( I know but it is very useful in identifying tinnies)

Cordially,
        JD
        What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

-Lumsden, Robin : Medals and Decorations of Hitlers Germany

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Hi,

A few which have not been mentioned;

Iron Cross:

1) Deutsches Ordensmuseum Ludenscheid - "Das Eiserne Kreuz 1813-1939" (this is volume 3 of a series, not sure what the other volumes deal with - in German).
            2) A.E. Prowse - "The Iron Cross of Prussia and Germany"

The small format series by Rolf Michaelis - I have 4 (I think there are some others - all German text), they are;
            1) Die Sturmabzeichen des Heeres,
            2) Die Verwundetenabzeichen (yes, there IS another wound badge reference book out there!!)
            3) Das Bandenkampfabzeichen,
            4) Die Hahkampfspange des Heeres

The series by Horst Mandry - I only have volume 4 - Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Dritten Reiches (German text but 99% colour pictures obverse/reverse).

Books by Robert McCarthy;
            1) World War II German Military Collectibles - Identification and Values
            2) his "Collector's Guides" Volumes I, II and III

For LW Badges, one of the BEST books - Russel Huff - "Wings of World War II"

Magazines:

-English and French versions of "Militaria Magazine"
            - German editions of "Internationales Militaria-Magazin"

Regards
            Mike K
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

KM Awards

"Die Auszeichnungen der Kriegsmarine"
              Klaus D Patzwall. Best book on the subject bar none. Lists every award available to KM personnel including Infantry Assault, Anti-Partisan etc. Out of Print for many years but a reprint is planned in the near future. An absolute must.

Comment

Please add:
                Manfred Dörr & Franz Thomas,"DIE TRÄGER DER NAHKAMPFSPANGE IN GOLD".
                Thanks,
                Dick

Comment

Hi Dennis,
                  another one

Militar - Publications band one
                  Deutsche Luftfahrtabzeichen
                  by H D Kraft

Comment

For the GERMAN DONATION AND PROPAGANDA BADGE collector check out (www.tieste.de) look in the literature section for some great books on the subject. Also try and locate the 4 vol's of Manion's Collectors's Guide to Tinnies of the Third Reich. And if you can find INSIGNIA, DECORATIONS and BADGES of the THIRD REICH and Occupied Countries by R.Kahl it's worth picking up.

Comment

Here's an obscure one.....

.....there are no photographs in this book, but there are some excellent illustrations, colorized, on plate stock paper.

Rosignoli, Guido
                      BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF WORLD WAR TWO
                      AIR FORCE - NAVAL - MARINE

Published by Peerage Books, 59 Grosvenor Street, London W1
                      ISBN 0 907408 34 6
                      Last edited by Bruce Simcox; 01-16-2003, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hello and sorry for the dealy in updating the list due to my vacations
                        Thanks to all of you who have dropped a new element of info.

To Atcase : Do you know if there are other volumes to the book written by Kraft (since the band one might suggest it)

To Dick : The Dorr's is listed in the Recipients Lists & Rank Lists part. This is the reference work on that matter : a big work, really.

To MikeK : by chance, would you know what do the 3 first volumes by Mandry cover ?

I will update more rapidly the next batch. Do not hesitate to add your findings in the differents parts.

Regards
                        and Tks again

Denis

Comment

Hi Denis,

Re Horst Mandry's works, I've seen a couple of others (on eBay) - I'm pretty sure one dealt with political awards and another with Weimar period awards. I do not know the exact titles or exactly how many volumes he has published.

Regards
                          Mike K
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X