Company 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company 9

Anyone know if the Russian flick on the war in Afghanistan is playing in the NY area? Has anyone seen it?
    Marc

Originally posted by Flak88
    Anyone know if the Russian flick on the war in Afghanistan is playing in the NY area? Has anyone seen it?
    Marc
    The American title is The 9th Company (9-ya rota in Russian). I don't think it is playing in North America yet. I heard about it but it isn't listed on Fango or Moviefone.

Comment

Peter,
      When it hits NYC lets go.
      Marc

Comment

Marc,
        It is not playing in the US yet, but it is out on DVD as of about a week ago. My friends in Russia who saw it didnt think much of it, and I am not expecting much either based on the variables I am presented with: a director who made music videos prior to this movie, tons of cursing, an obligatory group sex scene. Plus the director's claim that the movie is based on facts is for the people who are not familiar with the history of the Soviet colonial war in Afghanistan: in the movie, the 9th Company is "forgotten", ambushed and nearly wiped out; in real life, it was saved with 6 KIA (out of 39). I wouldnt mind seeing it in a theatre though.

The irony is that the director's father was responsible for some of the best Soviet movies about WW2. If you havent seen those, you might find this movie palatable.

http://www.9rota.ru The site is Russian-only, unfortunately.

Comment

Vadim--Do you know if the DVD has English subtitles? I have a region-free DVD player so it doesn't matter if the DVD is Russian...but unless you came over to translate I think I'd be a little lost!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
            Vadim--Do you know if the DVD has English subtitles?
            I am not sure, the ones sold at a couple of sites do not say anything about it, but a few offered on Ebay do mention English subtitles.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X