• Show
Clear All

kampfgruppe peiper

this new book by David Cook and
    Wayne Evans=Race for the Meuse.
    It is well written account of Peipers
    fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.
    but please dont buy it for the pictures
    they all been seen time after time by everyone .
    The [now] photos are very interesting
    showing a lot of sites of interest,
    and dont be put off by the publicity dust cover
    showing tiger 1[peiper had none in the bulge]
    in the snow in russia it has been replaced by the well known king tiger photo
    It sell for around £20 and has 192 pages
    DENNIS TROWBRIDGE

Dennis, I meticulously studied and gathered every photo, book, letter and scrap of information concerning Jochen Peiper religiously for several years. With regards to the man and the actions of his unit I have found that so many books have been released over the past few years which are basically rehashed examples of previously released works with (maybe) the inclusion of a pic or 2 (and then usually out of context) until............the release of the book written by Patrick Agte. Although it has been correctly pointed out that this book is not objective towards the man himself, the works nonetheless stands as the most detailed and comprehensive to date. With regards to anything Peiper I throughly recommend spending the cash to pick this piece up.

Regards Richard.
    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

What are your opinions on the Devil's Adjutant?

Comment

John, I have a first edition copy of 'Devil's Adjutant' which I must admit I was counting the days down until it was released. It is in my opinion 'readable' although Reynolds seems at some points to almost be on a personal vendetta against Peiper. (I understand some of these comments were ommited from subsequent editions). Still, all in all it is worth a read but pales next to Agte's book. Incidently, Reynolds did not reply to my letter sent via his publisher concerning some salient points in his book which I though were worthy of his reply.

Regards Richard.
        Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Thanks for the book tip and your reply. I would be interested to read the contents of the letter you sent as well as the parts omitted from the first edition.

For my part I enjoyed reading the book that gave me a feel for how events unfolded. I too sent a letter (it has been sometime so I d not recall the content) and was lucky enough to get a package in return.

I was very suprised to find a map inside - this was the map he used to teach people about the battle. It traces the steps from point to point of KG Peiper - something I think would be worthy of a trip (if only I had the money)

Regards

John

(edit -this is my 100th post!)

Comment

I found the book by Agte, although excellent and informative a bit on the hero worship exhonorating excuse side.The other books.. well its impossible to take one side or the other on a positive note it was an ugly War and many things happened that were spun to the advantage of the winners. Somewhere there is a truth to it all. Peiper was a loyal soldier good at his job,but a Nazi and he himself stated that before his death.He could never say he didnt know about the KZ camps like others did, he visited them first hand at the side of one of the architechts of the "Final solution". My Uncle fought against Kampfgruppe Peiper during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a frontline NCO with the 30th infantry division, I heard many stories about those Tiger tanks in my youth. I went there in December 1984 to participate in a march to commemorate the battle. A time I will never forget.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X