No announcement yet.

Detlev's Edition 2 Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just looked the post about Fred Heukemes book.
    Love it!

Frank Flintstone
    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
      Hi John, I would treat yourself to it. There is a lot of stuff in it which I had not even seen before, so I was very happy with my purchase. I think it beats the older Forman's book hands down.
      Cheers, Ade.
      If you added up EVERY edition of Forman's Guide, Detlev's still beats it.
      I do not think you can go wrong with this purchase....

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried
        I understand that primarily it is a price guide, which as you rightly point out is out of date almost as soon as the ink is wet! I want one just as a good quality pictorial reference of a wide range of original Third Reich awards. Any suggestions for ribbonbar/gorget references?
        John
        How does ANYONE look at any of these price guides as a barometer for value?

1.) The time it takes to compile a volume like this, get it through editing, then past the publisher, then through printing, to the time it reaches your door, none of the prices can be held as "market value".

2.) What the hell is "market value"? Is it collector to collector "market value"? Estand "market value"? Average dealer "market value"? What?

3.) Detlev is actually one of the less expensive dealers out there (comparitively speaking), so his prices would be 10-20-30% less than some of the big boys out there. Are you going to go to one of the bigger dealers and tell them that piece "A" is above market value?

Buy these for hopefully accurate photos and descriptions of a variety of items. Never use them as a be-all/end-all guide to pricing or authenticity.

Comment

Detlevs book.

I have a copy and consider it a good buy.
          Medals and awards might not be my main thing and as Ade says a price guide can change almost as quickly as its printed-but it certainly does show what is around and a great number of items illustrated don't show up on a regualr basis.
          Colour - great in any book but price , what would it mean - perhaps 30% more to pay.
          I have never owned a copy of Formans but would still say that DN's is not a waste of money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X