Schiffer's "SS uniforms" by Beaver

How would one rate these books?

They are excellent and a MUST if you are interested in the subject

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
      They are excellent and a MUST if you are interested in the subject
      Cheers, Ade.
      My area of interest is German WWII Visors in particular but have a certain fondness for anything SS, but cannot afford it. I just received all three Beaver volumes as a birthday gift and I can tell you the photos and information are top-notch.

There is one Panzer wrapper to a "Spiess" w/Deutschland cufftitle & three tank destruction strips (belonging to Wolfe/Hardin) that is simply amazing...and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Amazing set!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, francis and adrian. However, I am looking for original wartime German photos, so not any reenactment photos. So I'm hoping these books contain mostly photo material of the troops, rather than reenactors posing in SS uniforms?

Comment

Originally posted by Maikäfer
          Thanks for the replies, francis and adrian. However, I am looking for original wartime German photos, so not any reenactment photos. So I'm hoping these books contain mostly photo material of the troops, rather than reenactors posing in SS uniforms?
          DID ANYONE SAY REENACTOR PHOTOS?

From what I saw, they were all period photos and some of the photos were stated as the only know photos showing certain variants or test uniforms. I noticed that one of the forum members was featured quite prominently as a photo contributor. Last night I was paging through the female helfrin section...I do not know if some of these photos had ever been published before.

Amazing is all I can say.

Comment

You are right to be skeptical about reference books these days, but no need to hesitate in buying this series.

Mike took serious and scholarly approach to the hobby and his books. They are a detailed examination of SS uniforms with commentary based on his vast personal experience, and his research into original documentation at the US National Archives and elsewhere. There is no fluff in these books.

Magnificent original uniform tunics & smocks are posed on busts or laid flat, trousers are shown laid flat, everything in color. There are numerous wartime photos showing the articles in wear.

Expensive and worth every penny. The sad thing is the books cover only a fraction of what Mike could tell you in person about a particular piece, if ever you had the pleasure of meeting him. I sure miss Mike.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X