Nice little reference book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little reference book

Here is a book I received today. It is the history of the 5th Baden Infantry Regiment #113 during WWI. Book was printed in 1925 and is close to 100 pages. List men in the back of the book and has lots of pictures (thank goodness as I have a hard time with the German). Also has a few maps in the back of the book that show different campaigns. Is this type of book out there for each different German Regiment during WWI? Will be fun to research! Mike
    Attached Files

Hello Mike.
    While a good number of regiments published regimental histories of WW I not all did. Seemingly it depended on how well an association of veterans was established, finding a historian writerand being able to fund the nec. expenses. Due to limited numbers of copies printed because the anticipated readership would be rather small, plus the copies which disappeared over time, not that many books survived. Also smaller formations such as battalion size independent units did publish their histories of WW I .
    I have the good fortune to have obtained the WW I histories of:
    - Jaeger Btl. 10 (Hannoversches); (Gibraltar distinction cufftitle)
    - Fueselier Rgt.Nr. 73 (Hannoversches), also with Gibraltar distinction and the regiment of PLM Ritter Ernst Juenger;
    - Infanterie Rgt. Nr. 77 (2.Hannoversches).
    Scrutinizing the Militaria and used bookstores specializing in military related books results in finding offerings but sometimes at rather high prices.
    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Helmut Weitze always has a broad selection. I've just picked up random ones over the years as they fell into my paws--

Bavarian Inf Rgt 21, Prussian Res Inf Rgt 39, Bremen Inf Rgt 75, Prussian Res Inf Rgt 83 and Inf Rgt 163, Württemberg Landsturm Inf Rgt 13, naval Matrosen Rgt 2, and Res Feldart Rgt 15.

There are also odd little books like the "Commemorative Book of the Bavarian Heavy Artillery" that allowed units as small as independent batteries to "pool" into one volume, when they otherwise would have been overlooked, and the "Honor Book of the Color Green" which likewise printed short excerpts on many Jäger Battalions.

The quality varies enormously. Ldst Inf Rgt 13 rushed into print in 1920, although they never lost a man in action and spent a tedious late war on inactive Russian sectors: "still, we served too" is the basic tone. Others, like Bremen Inf Rgt 75 give full names and award dates right down to EK1s! These unit histories were still being printed in 1939--

I've never seen a wartime one-- or one from after WW2 for a WW1 unit.

Comment

Neat book!

Hey Mike, nice book! I wonder how many different regimental histories there are out there. Some of these units had 100+ years of history by 1914!

Comment

Index of Regimental Histories

(Stogie) Rick,

There are literally hundreds of published regimental histories and a very useful index of them is to be found in a Biblio Zeller publication by Eike Mohr titled "Heeres- und Truppengeschichte des Deutschen Reiches und seiner Länder 1806 bis 1918. It details each regiment's and independant unit's published histories in turn including reserve formations and also an overview of wider works like titles on Bavarian artillery or state specific tomes.

Regards
          Glenn

Comment

Neat!

I am a proud possessor of the odd little "Ehrenbuch der Bayerische schwere Artillerie"-along with a bout a half dozen small Bavarian unit histories. Sometimes one finds real treasure in them, like the Bavarian Heavy Cavalry reiter Regts. appendix noting all citations for Higher awards for bravery and officer lists of EK1 winners.
            I bought Fusilier Regt. 35 earlier this year form Detlev and just picked up an unusally comprehensive Ehrenbuch" from Stuttgart!
            If I ever had unlimited time and resources I'd love to compile a ranklist of reserve officers from the Reserve Infantry regiment histories-but I'd settle for Autengruber doing the Bavarian MVK 1 +2 instead-or even the Hamburg Cross.
            Rick-Lowell morgan?
            Cheers,
            JeMc
            p.s. Does anybody have a Ranklist for the army @1885? i need a xerox of page 1+2, which my 13 month old daughter tore out!
            Last edited by McCulloh; 09-13-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

By the way Glenn-where can i get that index? Is the company on-line?
              Ta-
              JeMc

Comment

Biblio Verlag

Jeff,

their site is at:

http://www.militaria-biblio.de/

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

wow!165DM!!

Thanks Glenn:
                  It'll be my XMAS present to myself I think-quite a book.
                  Cheers,
                  Jemc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X