Red Road From Stalingrad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Road From Stalingrad

I've just finished reading an excellent Red Army memoir titled "Red Road From Stalingrad Recollections of a Soviet Infantryman" by Mansur Abdulin. This book has been the best memoir that I have read from a soldier's perspective regardless of nationality. The book begins with Abdulin's first kill with an SVT40 rifle, and subsequently was awarded the "Bravery" medal being that he is the first man in his unit to have killed an enemy soldier. One can follow Abdulin through the battles around Stalingrad, and through Kursk until his sever wounding in 1943.

Later on during the author's service, he joins the Communist Party, and becomes in essence a commissar for his unit. His descriptions of combat are very detailed, and he explains that his descriptions are from his personal obersavations rather than the larger picture.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the battles on the Eastern Front.

Hi Roy, I had heard that it was a good read. Thanks for the recommendation; it sounds like a must

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

For what it is worth, I too recently read this book and I have to agree that it is well worth a read. Told from the aspect of a simple Russian soldier, you cannot fail to be impressed by the determination of this man and his comrades. Similarly, you cannot fail to feel for the author who, invalided from the army is sent straight back down the mines from whence he came! Well worth reading.

Regards Richard.
      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X