Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Review-Flags of our Fathers

Hello folks,
    I want to review this book by James Bradley, I read the book once several years ago and just recently re-read it again. To begin with I rather enjoyed it and found it to be an easy read. I liked how he focused the book on the famous Iwo Jima flagraisers (his father being one of them). Being an Arizona native, I paid special attention to Ira Hayes, for he is famous Arizonan I tell the students all about in my history class. Wanting to know more about Ira Hayes is one of the reasons why I read the book. I liked the book overall.

That being said, I did have some problems with the book. I got a little upset of how Mr. Bradley kept referring to the Pacific War as America's War. I guess the British, Australians, New Zealanders, Burmese, Filipinos, Indians, and Chinese had little to do over there. Plus it got a little tired on how he kept acting like the US Marines were the absolute best fighting soldiers the US had and the US Army was just second rate. Plus there was some things said by the author that wasn't correct. For example, that the US Marines never lost a battle in WWII, while the US army did loose several. I guess the US Marine defeat on Wake Island is an example of the authors selective memory or possible poor research.

In additon, I disagreed with the authors view (or take on it) that Iwo Jima was the most important land battle in the Pacific. I guess his view would be biased to begin with. On a silly note (this is just nitpicking), the author said Ira Hayes while living in Arizona ate a pudding made from beans. I guess the author not being from the South West is not familiar with refried beans.

Overall I felt the book to be very good, but rather fluffy at times, and I can see where the author like Stephen Ambrose, took a little liberty with the facts. Still a must read, and I guess a mini-series is being made about it as well. So read it now, before it becomes the cool thing to read. I remember I had read Band of Brothers when it first came out, after the HBO series, I spotted at one time eight teachers on campus reading the book. Don't get me wrong, I support anything that gets people to read, but I wish it wouldn't take a movie or a mini-series to get the inspiration.

Just my .02 cents. What are your views of the book Flags Of Our Fathers?
    Happy Reading,
    Jody
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jody Beltram; 06-08-2005, 02:42 PM.

I read this book when it came out years ago. Great book, very moving.

I found the first couple of chapters kind of "slow." It wasn't until the landing at Iwo that the book becomes very gripping. The daily accounts mirrors that of Richard Wheeler's own book - which I read a long time ago.

The best part of the book, in my opinion, is what happened afterwards when they return to the U.S. The survivors, bounded together by one famous photos, chose to handle things differently. All of them sad and some even tragic.

Comment

I also read the book several years ago and I agree that the aftermath of what happened to the guys was the most interesting part!
      Jody has it right that there are some issues with accuracy and opinion (dont forget that in addition to Wake, the whole 4th Marines surrendered on Corregidor as well ), it is a very good book.

CB

Comment

Flags

One of the fellows on the "other website" says this is being made into a movie.
        The book was a good read, hopefully the movie will be as good.
        Originally posted by cbuehler
        I also read the book several years ago and I agree that the aftermath of what happened to the guys was the most interesting part!
        Jody has it right that there are some issues with accuracy and opinion (dont forget that in addition to Wake, the whole 4th Marines surrendered on Corregidor as well ), it is a very good book.

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X