Obscure Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure Movies

Here are a few great movies that are somewhat obscure and ones you do not here much about.
    Music Box- Jessica Lange is the daughter of a former Hungarian secret policeman whose crimes come to light.
    Father - Max Von Sydow is a former SS officer hiding in Australia.
    Reunion - Jason Robards returns to the Germany he left as a child remembering his family and friends.

Doug

The Music Box is a great film. It shows how a loving family man could have a very dark past.

Comment

I do enjoy some of these lesser known films. I'd add the following to the list:

*The Winter War -- a Finnish made film about the 1939-40 winter war with the Soviets.
      *It Happened Here -- a "what if" movie about the German occupation of England, made by Andrew Mollo. Worth it totally for the newsreel that show German soldiers on leave in London! That sequence must have been filmed at 6am on a Sunday.
      *Lion of the Desert -- a good look at the Italian invasion of Lybia.
      *The Red and the White -- a Hungarian made film about the Russian Civil War.

Comment

The Beast - Its a bout a tank crew during the Russian War in Afghanistan

Dark Blue World - A must see WWII fighter pilot movie In my opinion it's one of the best WWII movies in recent years.

American Outlaws – Western

In Enemy Hands – a WWII sub movie not that great but you might like it if you like

WWII subs.

Ride with The Devil – Civil War

Comment

Film Title ??

I saw a film once late at night on the BBC2 (England), it was about the retreat to Dunkirk and it was in French ... in colour ...
          I never saw what the title was, but it was very graphic, earthy and true to life .. possibly made in the early or mid 70's ..
          ..Anybody got any suggestions what the title may have been ...

Gary J.

Comment

The Liberache of Baghdad (2005). This is about the piano player in the Hamra Hotel in Baghdad. If you have been there this is awesome! But a great commentary on life in that city after Saddam.

Comment

Obscure war movies

Hello,
              Here are some of my favorites dealing with U-boats:

Murphy's War with Peter O'Toole (I found this film rather cool as a kid)

The McKenzie Break with Brian Keith (about a U-boat crew trying to escape from a POW camp in the UK).

Not about U-boats but about the HJ:

Europe Europa about a Jewish boy and his stint in the Hitler Youth.

About the Nazi court system:

Night of the Generals with Peter O'Toole

Regards,
              Jody

Comment

I was going to add Night of the Generals as well--great detective/murder story with an all star cast (Peter O'Toole, Omar Shariff, etc.) and music by Maurice Jarre.
                The Ogre--with John Malkovich--amazing story with some great recreations of NPEA or Napola schools.
                The MacKenzie Break--based on a true story of a German POW camp mass escape.
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X