Come And See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come And See

Has anyone seen the 1980's film Come and See? I recently acquired it after seeing a show about various war movies which mentioned it as the only Russian film of any note about WW2 and my God it is a very good and disturbing film.

I highly recomend this movie to anyone. The massacre near the end of the movie is supposed to be based on a actual one that occured and is one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in any movie.

That's the best war film I've ever seen. Period.

Comment

I thought the movie itself was dull except the last scene. The last scene is worth the purchase price. I also have to say they did the best job at portraying what a SS trooper would look like in the field. The authentic look given to the SS troopers was better than SPR by far. I heard they used real uniforms and equipment(its actually a 60's era film if I recall).

Comment

Come and See was made in 1985.....
        Another film thats good is a Italian-Russian production called in English 'Attack and Retreat' also Italiano Brava Gente....Its about the Italian POV on the Russian Front at Stalingrad...

Comment

I've only just heard about "Come and See" - It was mentioned in the recent channel 4 top 100 war movies. It certainly looks very impressive.

I'm having trouble trying to find a region 2 dvd. Is there one?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by VonLuger
            Come and See was made in 1985.....
            Another film thats good is a Italian-Russian production called in English 'Attack and Retreat' also Italiano Brava Gente....Its about the Italian POV on the Russian Front at Stalingrad...

Your correct, I just dug mine out and had a look.

Comment

this movie is in netflix if anyone has a membership,

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...2&trkid=181026

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the SS uniforms in the movie were authentic, there were some mistakes, such as the the SS were wearing Wehrmacht camo, but some of those tunics and other items really looked like the real thing. Plus this was 1985 in the Soviet Union before the really good fakes starting coming out.

The explosions in the movie are the most realistric I've seen as well. They really blow stuff up.

Comment

A fantastic movie, in my opinion. For this one I am sure the Soviets used real equipment, uniforms...and explosives. The death of that cow from random machinegun fire has got to be real.
                  I also think that the portrayal of the massacre of the Belarus villagers by the SS was fairly realistic (of course the NKVD would do the same thing...but that's besides the point).
                  You just got to love the pretty dancing partisan girl as well.
                  Why rent when you can own it? In the liner notes, even Sean Penn likes this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeG
                    I also think that the portrayal of the massacre of the Belarus villagers by the SS was fairly realistic (of course the NKVD would do the same thing...but that's besides the point).
                    The NKVD would wipe out entire Belorussian villages by rounding up villagers in barns and burning them? Really? What exactly would be your sources on this? And if its besides the point, why even mention it..?

That said, it is a powerful movie with powerful, and at times quite unique, imagery (like the time reversal sequence when the boy is shooting at Hitler's picture). I didnt like the Director's cut as it has some footage that did deserve to be edited out and just slowed the movie's pace. Movie's director Elem Klimov did say in several interviews that a lot of uniforms and equipment used in the movie was authentic.
                    Last edited by Vadim K; 05-19-2005, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Come on guys, several of the helmets, etc, in the movie are obvious fakes, hungarians, etc. Also the plane is pathetic.

This said, it was my favorite war movie, untill I saw "Hotel Rwanda" recently. I have already seen it 4 times in the cinema, and it made me cry every time.

JL

Comment

Come and See

I dusted off my copy that I have not watched in years. A good watch in Russian and I forgot how disturbing it is.

Doug

Comment

If you know what usenet is and have a good server (it's been up 35days) you can find the dvd here:

alt.binaries.dvdrcore

NTSC Russian audio hardcoded english subs.

At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X