COLD BLUE remastered documentary of Memphis Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COLD BLUE remastered documentary of Memphis Bell

Just stumbled on this. Was done by HBO.... Never even knew it was remastered. For what ive seen, the remastering of the wartime footage is stunning. Anybody else seen it. Trailers are on Youtube

The one hour documentary is really well done. They found in the National Archives all the raw footage which was shot of the wartime film Memphis Belle. They digitized the footage in 4k resolution and then ran it all through color grading software to restore the footage back to the original color. The transformation is beyond remarkable.
    You can watch the film for a small fee on Amazon Prime and I believe also Youtube.

They also managed to find every shot used to make the film Memphis Belle and have restored that film as well. Although it has not been released yet.

Comment

This is short of astounding what can be done if you have the original film to use for this process. 1000s of hours of footage could show future generations non blurry color correct (or expertly colorized) archival footage of history.

Comment

I must have been about 12 years old when I first saw William Wyler's Memphis Belle film and it made a deep impression on me, especially the parts where the German fighters are attacking and you can see the flashes of their cannons firing.
        It's great to see that they have restored the footage and it does look incredible compared to the horribly faded and scratched original.
        Can't wait for it to come out in the UK!

I thought the video of the making of Cold Blue was pretty good as well, apart from focusing too much on the music side of things. I was shocked to learn that Vincent Losada, a veteran B17 crewman lost his life in a P51 crash in 2018, that's truly tragic.
        https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-cold-blue

Comment

Watched it last nite. Even thou they featured restored footage shot during the war for the memphis bell documentary. Its NOT a exact reproduction of said documentary. Still well worth the watch thou.

Comment

Saw this last year at the theater, they had a one day showing. Truly amazing at what they can do in restoring old film. I really enjoyed it
            Also I enjoyed listening to Paul "Bud" Haedike he is amusing and very likeable.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X