In Deadly Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Deadly Combat

I've just finished reading "In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front" by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann. This is really an interesting book written a man who served in Russia from June 22, 1941 until his unit's surrender in the Kurland Pocket in 1945.

As an enlisted man, the author served on a PAK gun, and mentions knocking out several T34 tanks which earned him the Iron Cross. Later, he attends Officer Candidate School, and graduates as a leutinant. Also in the book is very good descriptions of the fighting in the Crimea and Sevastopol.

If there is a fault with the book, it is somewhat sketchy. The author begins with his story with the invasion of the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941 with mention of his service prior to the invasion.

In all, I would recommend this book.

Hello

I read the book and I thought that it was pretty good. His commander Gen Lindeman was implicated in the July plot and was killed by the SS. He has very nice war pictures in his book including Gen Lindeman.

A part that I thought it was amazing is when he relate that after he was promoted to LT he did not have money to order tailored uniforms ( I think he spent his uniform allowance having a good time) , so he upgraded his issued uniforms with officers insignia. That was not unusual, but his relative at that late stage of the war got together and gave him officers tailored uniforms and even an officers dagger. At that stage of the war his family may not have had enough to eat, but they made that sacrifice. I thought it was an amazing gesture by his family.

Juan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X