No announcement yet.

What’s everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Top hats in Tobruk" it's a really nice read and my monthly dose of the" fly past" magazine.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post
      Have just finished reading "The Willing Flesh" (aka Cross of Iron), a 1956 dated hardback as I wanted to make sure it hadn't been 'sanitised' when reprinted in later years. A superb read IMHO, fiction but based closely on fact (i.e the details etc not the fictional storyline itself) I suspect as the author Willi Heinrich served in the unit the book is based around, the 101st Jager Division and it's time in the Kuban pocket, or bridgehead as the German's preferred to call it at the time. Also, that he wrote it relatively soon after the war when his memory must have been quite fresh. Regards, Paul
      Paul, a great read no doubt. Here is my dog-eared and well read copy.....

As you say, fiction based around fact, it makes for great reading and even although I really enjoyed the film 'Cross of Iron', the book is much, much more enjoyable. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in WWII.

Regards Richard.
      Attached Files
      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Just reread "Helmet for My Pillow". One of the best accounts of the Pacific War from an enlisted U.S. Marine.

Comment

I have almost completed Case White and am about to start Retreat from Moscow.
          Attached Files

Comment

3 days in Hell from Georges Bernage & Frederick Jeanne

Great book 👍🏻
            Attached Files

Comment

Just finished a book about the Paris Commune, starting Bloodlands tonight

Comment

Just finished reading "Hunt the Bismarck" by Angus Konstam. Well written definitive account Battle of the Denmark Strait

Comment

CHARGING KNIGHTS on the EASTERN FRONT.

Dale Ritter's 4th book. Brilliant read.

The previous 3 books are good reads as well, but this one is definately his best.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post
                    Dale Ritter's 4th book. Brilliant read.

The previous 3 books are good reads as well, but this one is definately his best.

S.
                    Nice to hear, I plan on buying this one too. I have concerns that it is primarily a picture book. Approx. how many pages of text ?

Is there repeat content from his other Tiger project book on the 505th?

Comment

CHARGING KNIGHTS on the EASTERN FRONT.

Dale's latest book is a good combination of full text, but interspersed with photos throughout.
                      A combination that I like a lot, as photos break up the text, rather than having just text and then a photo section.
                      This is a completely new book, and there are a lot of new, certainly to me, photos.

I don't think anyone with any kind of interest in the subject matter can be disappointed with Dale's work .

S.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

The first day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook.

Told through the stories of ten soldiers, it effortlessly blends the big picture with personal stories and anecdotes with consummate ease. It was published in 1971 when veterans were still about which gives another dimension to the final chapter; "The years that followed".

Because of personal connections to this battle I thought it would be a difficult book to read but I found the opposite and it hard to put down. It was a phenomenal read and one that will stay with me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've had it for years but only just got around to reading properly "Supreme Courage " by General Sir Peter de la Billière....Heroic Stories from 150 years of the Victoria Cross....a thumpingly good read as you'd expect, being written by a former head of the SAS...

"The battlefield is governed by three influences: luck, opportunity and unfairness. The bravest of the brave may be unlucky enough to be killed by a stray bullet , or be in the wrong place at the wrong second when an incoming she'll explodes - and no one will ever know what achievements that man might have been capable of. It is almost a condition of winning the Victoria Cross that luck is on your side...."

The intro chapter 'On Courage' alone is easily worth the book price !

Comment

Just purchased a book ...

Originally posted by Eddietheboy View Post
                              What's everyone reading?
                              ... on Roman Standards ,
                              ISBN 13:978-1472836496.
                              ........OFW

sigpic
                              .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

I recently finished "The Memoirs of Ernst Röhm," translated into English by Geoffrey Brooks and published by Frontline Books in 2012. This is a translation of Röhm's "Ernst Röhm: Die Geschichte eines hochverräters," published by Franz Eher Verlag, the NSDAP's main publishing house, initially in 1928 and thereafter. A fascinating story of the potent years between the Armistice of 1918 and the aftermath of the 'Beer Hall Putsch' in 1923, told in descriptive style by one of the key figures active and personally involved in all of that history. Röhm knew all of the 'players,' at least on the nationalist side, and he describes them in great detail. While we assume that we know all that there is to know about Germany during the post-WWI years, until you read about those times as described by one who was 'up close and personal,' you haven't read the last word on this subject!

My next book -- which has been awaiting my attention on the bookshelf, is "Living with Hitler: Accounts of Hitler's Household Staff," translated into English by Eva Burke and published by Greenhill Books in 2018. Obviously I enjoy reading first-hand accounts of history...even though translated from the original German...and this work has been patiently waiting for me for a couple of years now!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X