What’s everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s everyone reading?

Picked up this mint copy of Tiger Ace on eBay.
    Attached Files

I'm currently reading the 10-volume military memoirs of Hans Tröbst, a Prussian Pionier officer.

(Only available in German as an Amazon Kindle e-book.)

https://www.amazon.com/portal-migrat...771398&sr=8-19

Comment

Nein! Standing up to Hitler.

I'm currently reading Nein by Paddy Ashdown, the last book written by this fine man, former SBS officer and Lord who died in 2018. Very well written account of the resistance that existed inGermany right to the top, I highly recommend it.

Comment

World War II, memoires of Winston Churhill. Only 8066 pages . Quite an interesting read though .

cheers
        Peter

Comment

Finishing up "Die 8. Panzer-Division" by Richard Kindel.

Just got two new books in yesterday but don't know what I will select next. I had purchased about 20 various works out of the personal library of Mike Pruett and I am steadily working through them.
          Attached Files

Comment

I had that book ,Tiger Ace ,and while there is much good info in there it is atrociously written and badly needed an editor. I eventually sold mine after correcting the numerous grammatical and spelling errors. It read like a 12 year old had written it.
            Eric

Comment

Just finishing Bounden Duty: Memoirs of a German Officer 1932 - 1945 by Alexander Stahlberg. Fascinating memoirs by Erich von Manstein's Aide de Camp. Given what he knew about the plot to kill Hitler, it's amazing that he survived a single day past 21 July 1944.

Not knowing much about Manstein I just picked up his memoirs Lost Victories.

And based on a review by a fellow WAF member in this thread...

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for....php?t=1029591

....I picked up Until the Eyes Shut.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
                I had that book ,Tiger Ace ,and while there is much good info in there it is atrociously written and badly needed an editor. I eventually sold mine after correcting the numerous grammatical and spelling errors. It read like a 12 year old had written it. Eric
                I remember really looking forward to receiving this one in the post, and although the photographic content (at the time) was very impressive (it was way before the work by Patrick Agte) and as you have said, the style in which it was written was awful and virtually unreadable!

Luckily, there was a willing bidder on e-bay and the book found a new home.
                Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

I am currently reading;

'Eagles over the Sea: Luftwaffe Maritime Operations 1939 1942 - Lawrence Paterson'.

Well written and very well researched, a very good read and recommended to anyone interested in the operations of the Luftwaffe.
                  Attached Files
                  Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Beevor seems to have an issue with objectivity and tends to be quite laudatory of the Republicans/Communists. Does anyone have any recommendations for reading on the Spanish Civil War?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post
                      Just finishing Bounden Duty: Memoirs of a German Officer 1932 - 1945 by Alexander Stahlberg. Fascinating memoirs by Erich von Manstein's Aide de Camp. Given what he knew about the plot to kill Hitler, it's amazing that he survived a single day past 21 July 1944.

....I picked up Until the Eyes Shut.
                      It seems you liked Stahlberg?

I recently finished "Until the Eyes Shut" and I enjoyed it. Similar to "Blood Red Snow".

Comment

Reading this at the moment:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Almost done. Great book.

Jordan
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TWS View Post
                            It seems you liked Stahlberg?

I recently finished "Until the Eyes Shut" and I enjoyed it. Similar to "Blood Red Snow".
                            I did like it Todd. Great read. Being close to Manstein he had some unique experiences for a Lt. I think, like in many post-war German biographies, he tries to "cleanse" his name and image a bit in his narrative. If you take that with a grain of salt, yes, a great book.

I started Lost Victories by Manstein but had to put it back down. I'm sure it's a great biography for historians and students at West Point's War College, but it was just not an easy read.

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post
                              I did like it Todd. Great read. Being close to Manstein he had some unique experiences for a Lt. I think, like in many post-war German biographies, he tries to "cleanse" his name and image a bit in his narrative. If you take that with a grain of salt, yes, a great book.

I started Lost Victories by Manstein but had to put it back down. I'm sure it's a great biography for historians and students at West Point's War College, but it was just not an easy read.
                              Thanks! I'll add Stahlberg to my reading list.
                              Luckily I didn't buy von Manstein's book and read the Fort Knox library's copy for free.

Just a side note, the U.S. Army War College is at Carlisle Barracks, PA. West Point is the location of the United States Military Academy (USMA).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X