No announcement yet.

What’s everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Knights on the Eastern Front (history of 505 Tiger battalion)- one of the best Tiger histories ever, top 4 for me.

Comment

Just read this.....

'BISMARCK - 24 HOURS TO DOOM' - IaIn Ballantyne

Well worth a read.

Regards Richard.
      Attached Files
      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

I've always been curious to learn more about the Battle of France, so ... Strange Victory by Ernest May has been a compelling read so far.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by germansy View Post
          I've always been curious to learn more about the Battle of France, so ... Strange Victory by Ernest May has been a compelling read so far.
          I read this book a few years ago, and I have to say that I was disappointed.
          IMHO, Alistair Hornes's "To Lose a Battle", written many years ago, is a superior work.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

I have not yet reached halfway, but I have heard May's narrative is a tad flawed in some ways. I shall look into your recommendation, thank you, Robert.

It is always good to broaden the reading list.

Comment

Thanks @Bob Shoaf and germansy for your comments on Strange Victory.

As someone who is very interested in the events of 1940 (and spent a great deal of my free time visiting many of the places (https://decisivehours.com/) this book was on my list to read.

Comment

I am reading the first of these 3 books by Brit Buttar. Already read his 4 on the Eastern Front in WWI, as well as "Battleground Prussia". All are very detailed, well-researched, and objective. My favorite author for that front.

One of the best German veteran accounts, IMO, on small unit level armored warfare is "Panzer Ace". Worth getting for the photos alone.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36208112-panzer-ace
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

"Panzer Ace" by von Rosen is a definitely a worthwhile read!

I've just started, "The Collapse of the Third Republic" by William Shirer after finishing "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" a few months prior.

Comment

I've just finished my first book in ages: 'Hitler at Home' by Despina Stratigakos which was very informative. I visited the Obersalzburg in 2017 and wish I had had this book at the time.

Comment

Deleted!
                      Last edited by IanC; 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Deleted again.

Comment

Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin (2nd Edition) by Aaron Stephan Hamilton

I missed this book the first time around and with copies of the first edition for sale at £250+, the £35 price for the second edition is a screaming bargain.

Following a prelude, the book moves to the Battle for the Seelow Heights and the advance on Berlin. At this point there is a pause in the main narrative for a chapter on Red Army after action reports before resuming with the assault on Berlin and finishing with the breakout attempts and the aftermath of the fighting.

It comes with a map book which is an inspired decision because it means you can orientate yourself with the battlefield and see where units were without a context switch. The maps themselves are in various formats and are well presented. The map book ends with colour photos taken following the end of the fighting.

Recommended.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wanted to share an article from the latest AARP bulletin. Some very good survivor stories and a quick read.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-societ...emembered.html

Comment

The Neutrals, by Denis J. Fodor, c1982, one the Time-Life World War Ii Series. Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, and Turkey are all covered, as their leaders tried to stay out of the fray, and continued to trade/interact with Allied and Axis nations. Ireland (Eire) worried about both German and British aggression, according to the author, and Sir W. Churchill was vocal in his displeasure with the Irish refusal to participate in the war against Germany (many Irish did volunteer and fight) and to be more proactive in various ways in aiding the Allies in the Atlantic naval war. Also, the author mentions a couple times that uniforms were made for Germany in Spain (uniforms, or was it cloth/material, I think uniforms... my memory stinks), something I had never known. If anyone wants to comment, please do so. ~Brian

Comment

I’m thinking of getting a copy of this book. Can anyone recommend it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X