Mark E. Jones IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark E. Jones IV

Name of WAF collector, membership level and known as on the WAF: Mark E. Jones IV from Austin Texas, he was also known as user Wurfmine. Mark was a forum association member on the WAF and had joined the forum on October 2005. Mark passed away on 19 January 2019. He lived his life as a free spirit and historian – as student of philosophy and academics.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...-jones-8137855

WAF user account background: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ber.php?u=8747

Collecting interests: Mark was active on a number of WAF sites during his time on this forum, including: Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975, Cloth Headgear Forum and Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Articles, books published or other achievements:

Comments from fellow WAF forum membership (sampling from thread):
    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

"He lived his life as a free spirit and historian – as student of philosophy and academics."

Thanks very much for your announcement, Ralph. I didn't know Mark, but from your description, we will miss his input here on WAF. May he rest in well-deserved peace and rise in glory!

Br. James

Comment

Mark Jones (Wurfmine)

I knew Mark from the time he was about 17 years old. He was a student of WWII battles and tactics as well as German uniforms, weapons, and equipment from a young age. In the last few years he had expanded his interested into the Vietnam Era, especially uniforms of the Special Forces.

We rode many miles together going to militaria shows, museums, gun shows, and antique shops. He was never boring, that was for certain. He would have been 47 on February 14th. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Comment

It was with genuine shock that I learned of Mark's death from DennyB. Mark and I had communicated several times in the past weeks and I expected to see him, as usual, at the SoS. I will miss his enthusiasm - and his deep appreciation for and understanding of the field service blouse as issued to German soldiers in the Second World War. R.I.P.

Comment

Many thanks for your reflection, DennyB -- "He would have been 47 on February 14th." -- that's FAR too young to pass on into glory...

Br. James

Comment

He was very young. What a tragedy.
            RIP.

Comment

This is very sad news indeed.

I first met Mark in 1993 when I was stationed in New Mexico and we shared many similar interests in German Army field service blouses. He purchased many of my nice tunics when I sold a number of my uniforms in 1994 and we used to correspond frequently. One thing I always looked forward to was seeing him at the SOS and sharing MANY laughs about all manner of topics. This will leave an empty spot now going into this one.

I hope he went peacefully surrounded by family.

He was a good friend to Ed Stroh and I and he will be missed sorely.

RIP Mark

Rob

Comment

Mark had excellent taste in regards to Heer issue tunics and had assembled quite a superb collection with a number of choice examples in his area of collecting. It's sad that he won't be with us any longer.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear of this. He and I are very close in age and very close geographically. Strange as I don't think I knew him, yet the white pages indicate we lived 6 miles apart. Sounds like he was a heck of a great guy. Wish I had known him.

Comment

The news was indeed unexpected.
                    Mark was a very knowledgeable collector;
                    We had many a chat about the minutae of
                    insignia manufacture at my tables at the SOS.
                    I will miss him as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X