Kevan "Kev" Hinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevan "Kev" Hinson

Name of WAF collector and membership level and known as on the WAF: Kevan "Kev" Hinson - Forum name "butterfly", a member since August 2011 from the UK. He passed away on February 15th, 2016.

Known background of collector: He was a single parent of a daughter, and he had traveled around the world twice during his life.

Collecting interests: German Sd2 Butterfly bombs, air-dropped German bombs of WWII, WWII British Bomb Disposal units and equipment.

Articles, books published or other achievements: He was very knowledgeable on air-dropped German bombs of WWII, but most importantly he was probably the worlds foremost authority on the SD2 Butterfly bomb. He was working on a very detailed book about the SD2 that would have been a great asset to the collector community.

Comments from WAF forum members (sampling from thread):
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=SD2
    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

This was a major shock to me when I heard the news. We had been emailing back and forth quite a bit in the last few months and suddenly he stopped returning my emails. I never would have suspected that this was the reason.

I've known Kev for about five years, and although we never met, we had developed a pretty good overseas friendship by email. He was not a heavy contributor on this forum, but when he did contribute, it was always in an effort to help out a fellow forum member with information.

Kev was a "pillar" member of the British Ordnance Collectors Network (BOCN) forum and was VERY well liked there. He was very knowledgeable about bombs dropped on the UK, and the disposal of the unexploded UXB's. Many of the best items in my munitions and bomb disposal collection are there because of Kev.

Unfortunately, besides losing a great and generous guy, the collector world also lost his future book on the SD2 Butterfly bomb. He was by far the foremost expert on that bomb and the raids it was used in, especially the famous Grimsby raid.

Ironically, according to information posted on the BOCN, Kev passed away in a hospital in Grimsby, even though he did not live in that area.

At 49 years old he was too young to lose. He will be greatly missed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X