B-17 & B-24 Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-17 & B-24 Flights

Well it is that time of year again where my father, (Chet Sowersby), and myself are going to take ride in a B-17. Last year we rode in the B-24 and had a great time. The B-17 & B-24 rides are done through the Collings Foundation. They travel across the US on a tour where the public has an opportunity to take rides in these pieces of history. The ride is not cheap and costs $400 a person. I have included a scan of the places where they plan to stop in California. There were several more stops for California and the rest of the US but I could not fit all them into the scan. If you want to know more about the Collings Foundation here is their website.

www.collingsfoundation.org

If you have the opportunity to fly in the plane I highly recommend it. It is something I will always remember for the rest of my life. There is nothing like it. If you any questions I will gladly answer them. My father and I will be at the Mountain View stop on May 19th. Hopefully we will see a few forums there with us.

Eric

Attached Files
    I once flew in a B-17, B-24, & a B-25. Next, I want to fire an 88 round.

I remember your photos from last year. It looks like a super time. If it ever comes near me I would gladly pay $400 for the ride

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wainwrigh
      I remember your photos from last year. It looks like a super time. If it ever comes near me I would gladly pay $400 for the ride
      Chris, check the link that I provided and you can see what cities they stop at. I have to drive almost 2 hours, but it is worth it.

Eric

Comment

Some things just aren't to be measured in monetary terms. Just to sit there and feel the viceral impact of four supercharged engines roaring into the sky and recalling that this was the strategic weapons system of WWII that tore the industrial heart out of Germany at a tragic cost. Take the sound of one and let your imagination create the sound of 1000 enroute to Germany. Cheap at twice the price. Enjoy the experience Eric and take a moment to remember the magnificent men who crewed these machines for hours through fighters, flak and freezing temperatures so that we might continue to enjoy all those things we take so very much for granted.

...I think it's called living history...
        Last edited by Bob Hunter*; 04-29-2005, 05:58 PM.

Comment

b-24

They stopped by Lexington, Kentucky a few years ago. I rode on the B-24, but it was gutted. I was dissapointed to see it completely emply but I still had a great time. My grandfather was a top gunner on a b-24 in the 15th air force, stationed in Italy. He was there to watch me which meant alot. I was shocked to see how small they really are.

Nate Ellis

Comment

Hi Nate,
            You say it was "gutted". What do you mean by that? I thought they only changed the paint scheme from "The Dragon and His Tale" to what it is presently (Witchcraft).

Chet
            Zinc stinks!

Comment

!!

All original equipment was gone, and there was only two bench seats for everyone to sit on. I was supposed to fly on the b-17 but it was broke down that day.

regards,
              Nate

Comment

B-17

Well Eric, thanks to your thread about this last year, my son and I were able to take a ride on the B-17 this year. Lucky for us, it was the first time the foundation came to French Valley Airport near my office here in Southern California.

Even though we had booked a couple months in advance, we got bumped off our original flight because they accidentially overbooked and we were standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. It worked out though, we got to go the next day and my son flew for free to compensate us for the mistake. A nice gesture and a great savings.

The B-17 was awesome. It took off so smoothly, I didn't even know we were off the ground, and we were sitting on the floor behind the pilots. It was a great time. I took lots of pictures and video as we flew around the valley. The best part was that they left the top hatch open during the flight so we could stick our heads out. Being the tallest person on the plane, I took full advantage and video tapped with my head outside as we flew 150 miles per hour. Watching the tail of the plane with the horizon behind it as we banked this way and that way, was just plain fantastic.

I can't wait until next year so we can fly in the B-24.

Comment

Here at Hawthorne airport
                  Attached Files

Comment

Now, if you could take a ride in a P51 as well then I'd pack my bags and move to the States this afternoon!

Comment

Dear BenVK,

http://www.stallion51.com/home.cfm

See you soon

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK
                        Now, if you could take a ride in a P51 as well then I'd pack my bags and move to the States this afternoon!
                        Well there is a place that is about 45 minutes from where I live that offers P-51 rides. It is a club of P-51s out of Holister, California. From what I understand they are P-51 trainers so they have two seats. However, I hear the price is over $500 dollars, maybe even $600. I have never flown in one but I bet it would be a rush.

Eric

Comment

I called Stallion 51, as referenced above, about a year ago. They would not "guarantee" a price for an hour at a dual-control Mustang, but they implied it was $5,000 (+). I've not spoken to them since.

Mike

Comment

P-51's near Holister

Hi Eric,

Could you possibly get me a name and phone number for that place? It would be worth the drive north to fly in one.

Thanks

Comment

My Dad has flown a P-51 and says it is an indescribable experience
                              Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X