MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massive German Grave unearthed in Russia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive German Grave unearthed in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8GN0NUXCo

Thanks for posting this. Quite humbling to think how these guys must have suffered. Seeing the damaged bones is bad enough, but to think of how their limbs were destroyed and the pain they must have endured in their final moments is really depressing. Makes me think of the Lazarett scene in Generation War.

Sincere respect for the guys doing the exhumations as considering the scale of the task they carried it out with respect for the dead. Also, I'm impressed that the German government would make the effort considering the current climate related to soldiers of WW2.

Thanks again - a must watch! Side note, this 22-year old woman's look (32:50) is just downright haunting!

vr

Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

Not massive by a long stretch. Their were divisional cemeteries in Russia and the Ukraine that would have dwarfed that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
        Not massive by a long stretch. Their were divisional cemeteries in Russia and the Ukraine that would have dwarfed that one.
        Duh, don't you think we all know that? What a buzz kill! Can't you just give birdie props for at least posting it.
        Last edited by Waffenreich; 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Sad reminder of the horror of war

As I watched, I wonder who they were as individuals, and the pain and suffering their last days brought.. Sad, horrific, and brutal..

Kudos to those working to bring them home.

Comment

The brutal reality of the origins of our hobby. It certainly makes me reflect on that fact.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
              Duh, don't you think we all know that? What a buzz kill! Can't you just give birdie props for at least posting it.
              Oy vey. We're on a collecting forum, man. You draw a conclusion like that from my post and then you make an egregious personal attack? Yes, I read your response post before you edited it. This really takes the cake. Get a grip.

Comment

very humbling, thanks for posting.

Jon

Comment

Wow!

Comment

A cemetry built over an old field hospital cemetry it seems. The gruesome face of war. Strange that the community didn't remember what there was before. (Or didn't care) That the German government cares is rather unusual as they often rather don't. I suppose it was the Volksbund that organized and took the responsibility.

Comment

I watched some other videos on youtube of these same ppl digging in other places but this one is unique in the fact that these soldiers were more intact instead of just dirt pushed atop them where they fell...if buried at all. So much information is garnered from the evidence of splints, drain tubing, tourniquets etc. Broken bones, amputations, missing limbs. This paints the true picture of the horror of death in war. Truly Humbling very sad to watch

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
                        Strange that the community didn't remember what there was before. (Or didn't care) .
                        Well, we have to remember it is in Russia. My experience in many places East of Germany seems to be that communities really don't want to talk about what was there before - let alone talk about it. Poland was a real eye-opener in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                          Well, we have to remember it is in Russia. My experience in many places East of Germany seems to be that communities really don't want to talk about what was there before - let alone talk about it. Poland was a real eye-opener in this respect.
                          This is in Croatia not Russia.

Comment

About time the German government is taking an interest in repatriating those who fought for it.Of course there are mass graves all over Europe, so they need to step it up, especially in places such as the Czech Republic and other areas that were ethnically cleansed.

Comment

Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
                              This is in Croatia not Russia.
                              My mistake - Sorry.
                              The title of the topic, "Massive German Grave unearthed in Russia" was certainly self-evident in that respect.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X